Issues watching football (pixelation or halo)
gmv441

Have a brand new Sony X90j. Just got Fios too as I was a long time Optimum customer, so not sure if it is the Fios, the TV, or just the broadcast. When I watch Football everything is great close up...but when they pan to the field, basicallly every play when the players line up there is pixelation kind of around the players an also around like the Fox symbol in top right corner...any ideas or suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Issues watching football (pixelation or halo)
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If there are any other televisions in the house, do they experience the same symptoms?

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@gmv44 wrote:

Have a brand new Sony X90j. Just got Fios too as I was a long time Optimum customer, so not sure if it is the Fios, the TV, or just the broadcast. When I watch Football everything is great close up...but when they pan to the field, basicallly every play when the players line up there is pixelation kind of around the players an also around like the Fox symbol in top right corner...any ideas or suggestions?

Look here in the Fios box settings and see if your sharpness settings are too high: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings> Sharpness. Should be on default or lower. Also check the sharpness settings in the TV settings and make sure they are not too high. You could also look at the Picture Mode on the TV settings and make sure Vivid is not selected. For a good basic setup for the TV look here: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x90j/settings

treydeuce40

I've had this same issue. Did you get it resolved?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@treydeuce40 wrote:

I've had this same issue. Did you get it resolved?

If you are watching 1080i programming (almost EVERYTHING from Fios) on a 4K TV, you will notice scaling artifacts that are the result of upscaling. If you set the Fios box to 1080i, you are using the TV's upscaler to do the work. If you have the Fios box set to 2160, you are using the box's upscaler to do the work. Either way unless the content is 4K, you WILL notice upscaling artifacts if you get too close to the TV. You have to decide which does the better job of upscaling for you. You may be confusing upscaling artifacts for pixellation.

0 Likes