Issues with Fios TV One Mini (Coax)
MarkL24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having intermittent issues with my Fios TV One Mini for a little while now. For reference, the box is located upstairs in my master bedroom (rear of house), and my main STB and router are located downstairs in my family room (front of house). The Mini is connected via Coax, but often times says it is connected via wifi. I contacted Verizon customer service months ago and went through a couple hours of reboots/system checks with them but nothing seemed to fix the issue. Randomly everything started working much better for a few months so I let it be, but now the issues have started up again.

Live TV constantly freezes on my Mini. Sometimes the feed will resume after 5-10 seconds only to then freeze again and repeat. The channel name/info appears when it does this, as if it's sort of 'refreshing' the selection of that channel. Other times it will just freeze and stay that way. If I flip up/down channels, it typically resumes but then freezes again in a few seconds. When the cable feed is frozen, I can access the settings menu and guide just fine... meaning it's not like the whole box is frozen, but just the live cable feed.

The freezing problems occur when the box recognizes it's connected to coax as well as and when it decides to connect itself to wifi. I'm really confused as to why the Mini wouldn't always recognize it's connected to coax. Are there any software updates I can do? 

I've read that a non compatible splitter could possibly cause issues. Does that sound like something that could be causing my issues? My main STB in our family room works perfectly. I'm wondering if maybe there's a splitter in my attic for the upstairs that I should check. Any splitter recommendations or other suggestions on my issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Issues with Fios TV One Mini (Coax)
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The numbers on the splitters (5.5, 3.5...etc.) represent attenuation.

A simplistic explanation is that coaxial cable, splitters, connectors and other hardware attenuate signals. Installers will add up all of the losses to determine if an installation will function properly.

In residential home settings, where coaxial cable runs are relatively short, the ratings are not as important as if an installation was being done in an apartment complex where cable runs would be longer coupled with more splitters & connectors.

A member of an Interconnect-centric forum that I'm an Admin on posted some good information concerning coaxial cabling.

I think that the information presented is ok for posting here.

For the sake of simplicity lets say that you have +10dbm at the ground block (or video output of the FiOS ONT). +10 is what we would normally shoot for to supply each house. Then figure that at each cable box you want between 0dbm and no less than -10dbm. That range is what cable boxes are designed to operate with. We're going to ignore signal "tilt", which is the difference in levels between the lowest and highest carriers, as well as the return signals from the cable boxes back to the system.

So now it's just a matter of simple math.

If you don't know a 2-way splitter has a 3.5db attenuation from the in to each of the outs. A 3-way comes in two varieties. Either symmetrical or with a "hot"port. Either it's -7 all around or there is a -3.5 port with the rest -7. A 4-way is just two 2-ways. So -7db from the in to the outs.

Now look up the specs for the cable you are using. Look for the attenuation at 1000Mhz, for the Belden 1189A it's 6.55db/100ft. It's given per 100ft so divide it down to per foot (.065/ft). Now determine all your individual cable run lengths and where they go.

Get your pencil and paper out and start with +10. Subtract .065 per foot for the length of cable between the ONT and the first splitter. Subtract 3.5 or 7 for the 3-way splitter. Subtract from that number .065/ft for each cable run from the splitter to the cable boxes. Do you end up with between 0 and -10 at each device? If so all good!

Hint- it's a good idea to make a drawing starting at the ONT of how you have your splitters connected along with cable lengths and where they go. That way you can write your levels at each point in the chain.

Tip of the hat to hbiss for providing the information.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MarkL24 wrote:

I've been having intermittent issues with my Fios TV One Mini for a little while now. For reference, the box is located upstairs in my master bedroom (rear of house), and my main STB and router are located downstairs in my family room (front of house). The Mini is connected via Coax, but often times says it is connected via wifi. I contacted Verizon customer service months ago and went through a couple hours of reboots/system checks with them but nothing seemed to fix the issue. Randomly everything started working much better for a few months so I let it be, but now the issues have started up again.

Live TV constantly freezes on my Mini. Sometimes the feed will resume after 5-10 seconds only to then freeze again and repeat. The channel name/info appears when it does this, as if it's sort of 'refreshing' the selection of that channel. Other times it will just freeze and stay that way. If I flip up/down channels, it typically resumes but then freezes again in a few seconds. When the cable feed is frozen, I can access the settings menu and guide just fine... meaning it's not like the whole box is frozen, but just the live cable feed.

The freezing problems occur when the box recognizes it's connected to coax as well as and when it decides to connect itself to wifi. I'm really confused as to why the Mini wouldn't always recognize it's connected to coax. Are there any software updates I can do? 

I've read that a non compatible splitter could possibly cause issues. Does that sound like something that could be causing my issues? My main STB in our family room works perfectly. I'm wondering if maybe there's a splitter in my attic for the upstairs that I should check. Any splitter recommendations or other suggestions on my issue?

You may have nailed the issue. For the box to be going from coax to WiFi it must be loosing its coax connection, acquiring a WiFi signal, then losing that and going back to coax. You need to check ALL the coax connections in the system, look for another splitter between the router and the mini, or replace the one splitter you know of as it may have a bad leg. You need to use MoCa 2.0 approved splitters for ANY that are in the signal path. You can also look here for how the box is getting its signal: Main Menu > Customer Support > Top Support Tools > Connected Device Status. Scroll to highlight the box with the issues and check what the signal type and quality are.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In addition to Clem53's advice, I would suggest checking the coaxial cable connectors. Loose connections and improperly terminated connectors can cause problems. Also look to see if splitters have open ports. If any are spotted, either purchase some terminating plugs, or a new splitter with the correct number of ports

MarkL24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot for the info. It's interesting that when I check that Connected Device Status menu, the Mini STB shows as green (good connection), yet it's usually freezing at the time as I'm checking the status.

I'm going to try and hunt for more splitters. If I opt to try and replace a splitter... any recommendations on one to buy and how to ensure it's MoCA 2.0? 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

In general, stay away from inexpensive splitters. The good ones tend to cost more as they have internal circuit boards. Ideal brand splitters from Home Depot & Lowes are good choices.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MarkL24 wrote:

Should have added you check the SNR values here when things are bad:

Main Menu > Settings > System Information.

The SNR values should read GOOD or you have a problem with the wiring, splitters or connectors in the system. Outside chance is a bad ONT, but that would affect ALL boxes in the system. You could also try swapping the location of the VMS and mini to see if the problem Is location specific, or box specific.

MarkL24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot. Admittedly, I'm pretty unfamiliar with the parameters of 'MoCA 2.0'... trying to do some research but wanted to ask... is it based on the Mhz? For instance, I'm seeing splitters that are 5-1675 Mhz.... and then also some that are 5-2.4 Ghz. Are either of these MoCA 2.0 compatible?

0 Likes
MarkL24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks a lot - I will check into that. I have a strange feeling there's an issue with wiring/splitters in my attic. I tried moving the Mini to another Bedroom (currently a spare that we don't use)... and it experienced the same issue. I haven't ventured into the attic just yet... but i'm assuming the spare bedroom Coax jacks are all wired into a common splitter. Thinking this could be why I'm having issues upstairs but not downstairs in my family room with the main Fios One STB.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MarkL24 wrote:

Thanks a lot - I will check into that. I have a strange feeling there's an issue with wiring/splitters in my attic. I tried moving the Mini to another Bedroom (currently a spare that we don't use)... and it experienced the same issue. I haven't ventured into the attic just yet... but i'm assuming the spare bedroom Coax jacks are all wired into a common splitter. Thinking this could be why I'm having issues upstairs but not downstairs in my family room with the main Fios One STB.

This is a link to the Verizon MoCa 2.0 splitter:

https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Splitter-PDI-2WWB-2-0-3-5dB-Screw/dp/B010EIP8B8

It's 5-1675 Mhz, which is all the current system really needs.

MarkL24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I appreciate the link to the splitter. I just went into my attic and unplugged/replugged all the coax cables into the splitter currently up there (ideal brand). I moved the cables in the ā€˜outā€™ ports around too (no idea why just figured why not).

I did notice thereā€™s one open ā€˜outā€™ port with only a dust cap on itā€¦ so I should put a terminate cap on that instead. 

Iā€™m testing the master bedroom tv with the Mini right now and itā€™s TV actually working properly. Iā€™m a bit skeptical but I guess itā€™s possible something was loose. Interestingly though I went to the System Diagnostics menu you suggested and for SNR lines I see:

SNR Level: N/A

SNR Value: N/A DB

seems kind of weird, no?

0 Likes