Issues with playback on multi-room DVR
ianrolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I'm having issues with playback on my multi-room DVR setup when playing on the bedroom STB.  I've got the TV Extreme HD package.

When playing HD recorded content sometimes the playbay skips.  When I rewind and play it again it plays just fine.  This happens about 2 to 3 times for 1 hour of playback.

When playing SD recorded content I do not have any problems with the playback itself.  When I fast foward through the commericals is when I have issues.  It usually starts out just fine, but then it skips over a huge chunk of video and usually skips over a bunch of the content that I want to watch.  I rewind it and it plays just fine.

This issues are really big issues, they are pretty annoying when trying to watch TV though.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Issues with playback on multi-room DVR
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

How long have you had FIOS TV?  Has it always been a problem or just recently?

If you go under one of the customer support settings in the STB you can run self diagnostics.  What is the db reporting?  Is there a splitter somewhere along the way?  Did you try to reset the router?  Reset all STB's?

If you run Video on Demand, do you have the problem too?

ianrolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had it about 10 months or so.  It's always done this, but I never had a chance to complain about it.

I have not run self diagnostics on it.  No idea what the db reporting is.  Is that something the STB will tell me?

No splitter installed.  I have reset the router a few times.  I have not reset the STBs.

I do not recall the same issue happening with Video On Demand stuff.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I have had it about 10 months or so.  It's always done this, but I never had a chance to complain about it.

I have not run self diagnostics on it.  No idea what the db reporting is.  Is that something the STB will tell me?

YES it will tell you under diagnostics.

No splitter installed.  I have reset the router a few times.  I have not reset the STBs.

If you have had this issue since the start of FIOS chances are rebooting STB won't help but worth a shot

How many TV's do you have in your home?  Have you tried this on a different TV?

ianrolf
Enthusiast - Level 2

26 db is the S/N ratio.

oh didnt realize you meant rebooting as the same thing as reseting.  yes, i've reset the STB before.  many times.

I have 2 TVs.  one is a non-high definition tv.  However, I have had another HDTV hooked up to this STB and it did the same thing. 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
What model set top boxes do you have?

On the sd tv do you have the same problem?

0 Likes
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

I'm not exactly sure how watching a show from another dvr in another room works, but with most technologies you are essentially streaming a large hd file over a network, because with fios the network is wired with the cables running into each dvr with a coax network, it works fairly well. But anytime you are streaming a huge file, a stutter once and a while is hard to avoid. 

I think if fios dvrs offered the option to transfer the recordings between dvrs, not watch in real time, there would not be any problems watching shows. Of course, with tivos, over a wired network this takes about 10 minutes, but in most cases by the time the first part of a show is over, the show is done transferring, and you can start to watch it right away.  And obviously this isn't an option if you are using stb non dvrs. 

I have had some hd shows work flawlessly watching it from another room, but in most cases the audio or video will break up briefly 2 or 3 times. Not a big deal to me, and if I want a perfect recording, I use the phone app or the website to schedule the recording on the dvr Im going to watch it on. But again, not an option with an stb. 

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Starting in the late fall we had problems watching any DVR show on certain TV's.  We had no problem with VOD.  Didn't make much sense since one TV was fine and the other was a problem.  Swapped the STBs around, still a problem at the same location.  Check the connections, db etc. all was fine.  Rec'd a replacement router, not fixed.  Problem then moved to all TV's, could not watch any DVR show regardless SD or HD.

I called VZ and it turned out the ONT was going bad.  Once they replaced it, we don't have MRDVR issues and my daughter and wife use this all the time.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over eight years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes