Jerky Picture When Playing Back from DVR
chip19474

We've had FIOS for one month now.  We've begun to notice that certain TV programs that we've recorded when played back are jerky...kinda like an old Charlie Chaplin movie.  HD picture is very clear and the commercials are always perfect.  It's random - not consistent to one channel.  Live HD and SD are fine - no problem.  What do I need to do to correct this problem?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Jerky Picture When Playing Back from DVR
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3
Chip19474,

There could be a couple things done to correct this. We are going to try a couple resolutions. If they were recorded with the errors, would need to test with new recordings. The first and easiest fix is to unplug the power cord from the DVR box for 30 seconds then plug back in. Record a new show and check playback quality. If that does not fix it, please send me a private message so we can move further.
0 Likes
chip19474

Anthony,

A VZ tech rep tested my DVR yesterday remotely via the chat line site.  I don't know what he did but he claimed to have fixed the problem.  Unfortunately, we watched a show off of the DVR last night and the problem still exists.  The Tech mentioned that if his fix didn't work, the DVR hard drive is probably bad and the DVR would need to be replaced.  It looks like I'll be calling asap to discuss

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear that didn't correct it. If you were calling immediately im sure they already have a new box out to you on the way. If theres anything else ya need help with please dont hesitate to contact us.

0 Likes
Part 3 - Jerky Picture With FIOS
chip19474

Hi Anthony,

It now looks like my STB and DVR might be suspect.  Earlier I was blaming the DVR for playbacks of shows that were jerky with voices out of sync with people's lips moving.  But since our last communication, I have started to look at some of the channels we typically record from and those channels plus a few random other channels are jerky with out-of-sync people talking on live TV.  It's noticable on live TV in our bedroom TV as well so I'm not sure if possibly I have a STB and DVR and transmission problem??

Can you outline a diagnostic I can run on the STB to check it before I call VZ for help?  I'm a VZ retiree from Network Engineering so I can certainly follow techy directions.

How about coversing with me on my AOL account......it's easier to respond than going into the VZ forum....

{edited for privacy}

Thanks,  chip

0 Likes
Re: Part 3 - Jerky Picture With FIOS
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Hey Chip there are a couple different diagnostics that can be run. All of them are in the CUSTOMER SUPPORT section from the main menu. Run the SELF DIAGNOTIC there and see if anything reports failing. Then go into the sub menu of CUSTOMER REPORT that says IN HOME AGENT. From there you can run SET TOP BOX AUTOCORRECT and when done then run NETWORK DIAGNOSTIC. Once we have any negative info from there be could better proceed.

0 Likes