Judder on some channels....how do I stop it?
chip19474

When I have my new LCD TV set to Auto Motion Plus, I get judder on quite a few of the HD shows we watch.  It's annoying to the point that we can't watch some programs and have to switch the Auto Motion Plus Off.  There is nothing wrong with the TV.  It plays DVDs perfectly well with Auto Motion Plus on.  When we simulatneously watch a Judder program  (from the STB) on our other old analog TV with a digital convertor, the picture is fine on the analog TV.....what;s going on!!??

0 Likes
Re: Judder on some channels....how do I stop it?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@chip19474 wrote:

When I have my new LCD TV set to Auto Motion Plus, I get judder on quite a few of the HD shows we watch.  It's annoying to the point that we can't watch some programs and have to switch the Auto Motion Plus Off.  There is nothing wrong with the TV.  It plays DVDs perfectly well with Auto Motion Plus on.  When we simulatneously watch a Judder program  (from the STB) on our other old analog TV with a digital convertor, the picture is fine on the analog TV.....what;s going on!!??

I just did a quick internet search on "auto motion plus LCD TV" and came up with hits on other forums complaining that the effect you are seeing is present on a number of sources (including some DVD players) when the use "auto motion plus."  One post, for example, said "I'm having a little trouble with Auto Motion Plus (AMP) on this TV and wondered if others are having a similar issue.  If I leave it on the 'Clear' setting which is the lowest, I still get some judder (really much more than judder, but rather stuttering in the picture like it freezes and releases quickly).  ... Turning off AMP fixes the problem..."

I think what you're seeing is a result of how your TV is processing the signals.  One of the posts I found indicated that "Samsung told me that this will happen on broadcasts that do not have much motion like a sitcom or something because the AMP is trying to fix a problem with motion that isn't there since the scenes aren't moving fast.  He said that the stuttering will not happen during fast action movies, sports, etc. "  (See http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/TV-Home-Theater/Samsung-Auto-Motion-Plus-on-LN46C630-LCD/td-p/24151....)  A DVD does not have the bit rates of the HD channels so you would likely not see the impact there.

0 Likes
Re: Judder on some channels....how do I stop it?
chip19474

thanks for the reply.....I was especially interested in the forum link you provided since the posts on that forum are all in reference to my Samsung model (which I didn't mention in my original message)!  Also interesting is how many people seem to be affected by this feature.  I bought the TV based on a Consumer Reports TV test which showed it as a "Best Choice".  The test article never mentioned anything about judder/stuttering with AMP....I wonder if they even tested it??  The picture quality with AMP turned on (when there isn't any judder) is just spectacular.  Since I don't get the stuttering affect on all programs, I still have to believe that the issue isn't as much with the TV as it is with Verizon's broadcast quality.  I wonder if people with the same TV have the same problems with another provider like Comcast (for example)?

0 Likes