LG Magic Remote and TV One VMS
Kyle_W

I am trying to use my LG Magic Remote to control my TV One VMS. I have tries every combination of manufacturer and remote type available in the LG Device Connector App and nothing works. Anybody know how I can get it to work?

Thanks,

Kyle

0 Likes
Re: LG Magic Remote and TV One VMS
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@KJWSr wrote:

I am trying to use my LG Magic Remote to control my TV One VMS. I have tries every combination of manufacturer and remote type available in the LG Device Connector App and nothing works. Anybody know how I can get it to work?

Thanks,

Kyle

Found this, don't know if it helps:

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/how-to-setup-universal-control-on-your-magic-remote-CT100...

Problem might also be that you have to have the Fios box going into the eARC input of the TV. Also possible the two aren't compatible. Check with LG on that.

rapcom

Have you been able to get any resolution to this? I have the same Arris VMS4100 and my LG C1 recognized the box and it set up quite easily. I have also searched the device options and found the VMS in the list.

The remote seems to be sending IR signals which appear to be working when I put the remote in front of the STB. However, the STB is in another room, so I need the Magic Remote to tell the TV to send commands via the HDMI ARC port using CEC/Simplink. Is this even a possibility? Did you have any luck trying to make this work?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rapcom wrote:

Have you been able to get any resolution to this? I have the same Arris VMS4100 and my LG C1 recognized the box and it set up quite easily. I have also searched the device options and found the VMS in the list.

The remote seems to be sending IR signals which appear to be working when I put the remote in front of the STB. However, the STB is in another room, so I need the Magic Remote to tell the TV to send commands via the HDMI ARC port using CEC/Simplink. Is this even a possibility? Did you have any luck trying to make this work?

First make sure CEC is enabled in the TV. Then make sure it is enabled in the Fios Box: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings > TV Input Control. You might have to unplug, wait and plug back in the HDMI cable going from the Fios box to the TV to get them to sync.

rapcom

Yeah, I've enabled CEC on Fios Box and on TV. I've tried setting universal control with Arris, with Verizon, with VMS4100. It all seems to "take", but the remote just won't command the Fios box.

Can you confirm that your remote does NOT have line of site to your Fios Box? And do you know if it is controlling the the Fios box through HDMI CEC? Is there any chance it's emitting RF to control the the box? When I go downstairs and stand in front of the Fios box, the magic remote emits IR signal which works in controlling the box... but because the box is not in line of sight, I need the CEC or RF signal to control it.

One last question, when you hit "guide" on your remote... do you get the LG native guide (grey) or the Fios native guide (black). When I hit the "guide" button, I get the LG native guide which is accurate, but when I select any channel, nothing happens. I would expect for the magic remote to pull up the Fios native guide.

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rapcom wrote:

Yeah, I've enabled CEC on Fios Box and on TV. I've tried setting universal control with Arris, with Verizon, with VMS4100. It all seems to "take", but the remote just won't command the Fios box.

Can you confirm that your remote does NOT have line of site to your Fios Box? And do you know if it is controlling the the Fios box through HDMI CEC? Is there any chance it's emitting RF to control the the box? When I go downstairs and stand in front of the Fios box, the magic remote emits IR signal which works in controlling the box... but because the box is not in line of sight, I need the CEC or RF signal to control it.

One last question, when you hit "guide" on your remote... do you get the LG native guide (grey) or the Fios native guide (black). When I hit the "guide" button, I get the LG native guide which is accurate, but when I select any channel, nothing happens. I would expect for the magic remote to pull up the Fios native guide.

Thanks for the help.

I do not have an LG TV to try this out on, I'm only going with previous experience. It seems the TV should be able to send the Fios box CEC commands. Is the TV using a direct HDMI connection to the Fios box? Have you tried removing the batteries from the Fios remote for at least 5 minutes and wiping it out from the Fios box and re-pairing it, then selecting the LG TV again in the device menu?

Main Menu > Customer Support > Fios TV Voice Remote > Program Fios TV Voice Remote. First use the Reset remote, then use the manual setup to program for your LG TV.

rapcom

I’m actually trying to use the LG Magic Remote to control the Fios Box.  I’m using the Universal Remote Control set up on the LG TV to specify the Fios TV box I’m trying to control. So I’m not using the Verizon remote at all. 

Maybe I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were using the LG Magic Remote to control the cable box. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@rapcom wrote:

I’m actually trying to use the LG Magic Remote to control the Fios Box.  I’m using the Universal Remote Control set up on the LG TV to specify the Fios TV box I’m trying to control. So I’m not using the Verizon remote at all. 

Maybe I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were using the LG Magic Remote to control the cable box. 

Sounds like we're both confused. I thought you were trying to also use the Verizon remote to act as the LG magic remote to control the Fios box. Have you tried to do it that way? Problem is I do NOT have an LG TV here to experiment with, so I'm trying all the possibilities I know. You could  use an Alexa or Google device instead. You should be able to control both the Fios box and the TV that way. Also I've been trying to find documentation on the Magic Remote setup on the LG site, not getting anywhere with that. Does the TV turn the Fios box on and off through CEC? This was the only thing I could find that might help:

https://gscs-america.lge.com/gscs/collpack/contents/readChatbotContents.do?corporation=LGEAI&content...

Look at option 3.

One other thing i saw was people usng ADB as the manufacturer for the STB. Might try that too.

Kyle_W

I'm the OP. My quest continues. I am looking to control my FiOS TV One box with the LG Magic Remote that came with my LG OLED55C8PUA TV. I've tried all of the above, including repositioning my TV One box. Nothing seems to work except the Power button. I can also use the Mute and Volume +/- on the Magic Remote, but that's really controlling my SONOS sounder which is connected to the TV via optical cable.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@KJWSr wrote:

I'm the OP. My quest continues. I am looking to control my FiOS TV One box with the LG Magic Remote that came with my LG OLED55C8PUA TV. I've tried all of the above, including repositioning my TV One box. Nothing seems to work except the Power button. I can also use the Mute and Volume +/- on the Magic Remote, but that's really controlling my SONOS sounder which is connected to the TV via optical cable.

Looks like you need to call LG Support and ask them if there is supposed to be a compatible code to control the Fios arris boxes. It may take an update from them for it to work. Remember the Fios box only responds to RF from the Fios remote, or IR from all others, so you'll need line of sight to the Fios box, or an IR repeater.

0 Likes