Lack of color saturation in HD
mnkhb01

I recently had Fios installed to replace Comcast.  I have the HD set up for both.

Comparing the two, the Verizon Fios has a washed out appearance.  The colors are not as strong.

The troubleshooting guide is no help.  Customer service tells me I need to adjust my Television.

My television has been color balance with a Blu-ray tuning DVD.  The trouble seems to be in the signal from Verizon.

Has anyone else had this trouble?  Any advice?

0 Likes
Re: Lack of color saturation in HD
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
You could try going into the service menu of the HD STB and changing the color space setting - this helped with color saturation and full gray scale capabilities for me.
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
Some people cite a difference in color richness between an HDMI connection and component. The problem is that folks in both camps cite the same thing. Whatever one you are using, try the other to see if there is any difference. If your TV allows it, you can actually have both connected at the same time from your 6416 STB and toggle between the two inputs on your TV for comparison.
0 Likes
pdxhz

@mnkhb01 wrote:

I recently had Fios installed to replace Comcast.  I have the HD set up for both.

Comparing the two, the Verizon Fios has a washed out appearance.  The colors are not as strong.

The troubleshooting guide is no help.  Customer service tells me I need to adjust my Television.

My television has been color balance with a Blu-ray tuning DVD.  The trouble seems to be in the signal from Verizon.

Has anyone else had this trouble?  Any advice?

Yes I noticed the same thing when I switched from Comcast as well (about 6 months ago). Not sure how to adjust the VZ set-top box. Hopefully someone will provide a link!

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

Here is the link for the Verizon 6416 DVR user guide:      http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/fios/qip6xxxuserguide.pdf

Hope it helps. When I switched from Comcast, I did not notice a difference. In fact, I had both FIOS and Comcast for a long time, so I was able to do a lot of side by side comparison. The Verizon DVR is about the same as the Comcast box. 

0 Likes
mnkhb01

Is the Service Menu the same as the Settings Menu?  I cannot find anything that refers to color space settings.  Please clarify.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@knobby wrote:

Is the Service Menu the same as the Settings Menu?  I cannot find anything that refers to color space settings.  Please clarify.

The menu I referred to is in the manual.  It requires you to (startiong with TV and STB on) hit POWER ->SELECT->MENU (in fairly short succession) on the STB (can be done on remote, but I don't recall the buttons that are equivalent) and a text screen will come up allowing various changes including color space.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

The buttons on the remote to push are STB ==> Power ==> OK ==> Menu (this only works if you have the power on/off function separated for the TV and the STB, otherwise one will probably go off and the other on when you push Power, etc). 

The possible Color Space settings are YCC 4:4:4 and RGB. I don't know what they mean, but I use the YCC 4:4:4 setting with my Sony LCD and I think the color really pops. I suggest you try both, the one you are not currently using might work for you, you can always go back.

0 Likes
spta97
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have the YCC 4:4:4 set for my DLP and the color is shocking.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@spta97 wrote:
I have the YCC 4:4:4 set for my DLP and the color is shocking.

And for my Sharp LCD RGB gives better color as well as allowing for full gray scale (contrast) calibration.  It all depends on your set.

0 Likes