Re: Lip Sync with Fios STB (VMS4100)
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just a regular customer trying to help. And I still maintain that you are in the vast minority of people out there with the audio lag issue. Altogether I have seen all kinds of issues in the world of HDMI, seems like despite having rigid standards manufacturers still manage to put there own spin on what is and isn't acceptable. Unfortunately you have one of the most difficult problems to solve, since there are very few TVs out there that allow for a negative audio delay setting, LG being one of them. The posts on the Samsung forum show the issue with several sources, not just Fios boxes, which leads me to believe there is something in the audio processing in your TV that is not following the HDMI specifications 100%. The other devices you use may be more adaptable in their implementation of audio sync connectivity than the Fios box, but like I said, I personally NEVER had this issue, even as an early adopter of the 4100 series. I have only seen you and 1 other person over the last month or so on this forum have audio lag issues, so I can't say its prevalent with the 4100, oddly you BOTH have Samsung TVs. The only other thing I can think of is turning off ANY other audio processing in the TV like dialog enhancement, wide stereo, anything that is intended to enhance the audio. Again I am assuming you are going strictly from the Fios box to the TV, not through any other devices. I don't want to sound like a Fios fanboy by any means, but this is an unusual problem. When you tried the audio passthrough option in the service menu, did you see some channels coming through as stereo? If not the passthrough option is NOT working as it should. As delivered the 4100 converted ALL signals to DD5.1, regardless of source. That was the original reason to get the passthrough option put back into the boxes.

Several people felt the conversion was causing audio distortion, myself included. Like I said , I can't check this myself as I haven't received the 6.8 update. You could try posting the issue here to get a response from a genuine Fios technician.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect~also=ilec,vz+vzfiber+vzfiostv

Also check here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Lip-sync-on-Q90R-with-5-1-input/m-p/1165111

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

You claim that it's just me and another Samsung TV owner but at the same time completely ignoring the link I sent you that would show how many people have this issue with Fios boxes across many different forums.

The "Pass Through" is NOT working.

DD5.1 audio is being sent from stereo broadcast while in "Pass Through" mode.

The options for the "Audio Output" are:

• Pass Through
  • Auto
  • L-PCM

Both "Auto" and "Pass Through" send DD5.1 always regardless of the content.

And yes, it's "distorted"..

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Bad news the passthrough is NOT working correctly. I'll send a note to fios tech on dslreports.com. You should also post there to the link I sent to Verizon direct. That will get you hooked up directly with a technician. As far as ignoring your links, the majority of people here that fairly recently posted about lipsync issues have audio before video issues, not the issue you have. As you can see there are many complaints on the Samsung forums of recent issues identical to yours but with other sources. If I couldn't find anything like that I'd agree with you 100%. The fact is there are problems in Samsung land over video before audio issues, and many are current, and span several models. All agree that changing sources to LPCM fixes the issue at the expense of best sound. Also you can see LG acknowledges issues like this and includes negative values in their sync menu. The only other thing I can suggest is inserting a device that resets the edid info like a splitter or switch between the TV and the Fios box. Also if you have a mini, try that. Or see if the problem is noticable on another TV in the house.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

Try to find one TV manufacturer that doesn't have complaints about lip sync. Sending video and audio in sync is a very complicated process. Sometimes it's TV's "fault", sometimes receiver's and sometimes cable box's. I wouldn't waste my time about it on this forum if I wasn't sure what is the source of the issue.

What is your current setup that you don't have any lip sync issues from the Fios box on?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Used a Sharp 70" TV, a Sony 85" and a Samsung 27" TV,, no lipsync  issues with any of them. I used direct from Fios box, Fios box through a Yamaha receiver and Fios box through a Denon receiver . All without the lipsync issues you are having. I did have problems with the DD5.1 always being on, but it was an audio distortion issue. Got a reply from Fios Direct on dslreports.com,  they want you to contact them. Call 1-800-837-4966, or post on https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect, tell them you were having a discussion here.

bstpeg

I'm experiencing this same issue - audio lag that is only resolved by using my TV's speakers or changing the setting to L-PCM (and getting poor quality audio). Didn't have this issue until I upgraded from the older HD STB (don't remember the model number).

I have my FiOS TV One box connected to a Samsung Q7DR TV, which is connected to a Yamaha YAS-207 receiver (sound bar) over HDMI-ARC.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bstpeg wrote:

I'm experiencing this same issue - audio lag that is only resolved by using my TV's speakers or changing the setting to L-PCM (and getting poor quality audio). Didn't have this issue until I upgraded from the older HD STB (don't remember the model number).

I have my FiOS TV One box connected to a Samsung Q7DR TV, which is connected to a Yamaha YAS-207 receiver (sound bar) over HDMI-ARC.

In your case I'd go from the Fios box to the soundbar first, then to the TV. That should take care of the sync issue, or push it the other way.

Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do you "go" from soundbar to TV?? 

Verizon should fix the issue with the "passthrough".

0 Likes
bstpeg

But I have multiple devices connected via HDMI (box, PlayStation, other game console). I don't want to have to use my soundbar to switch between devices, and my soundbar doesn't even have enough inputs for all my devices. 

0 Likes
Mbpe300
Enthusiast - Level 2

bstpeg - don't listen to this nonsense.

There is an issue with audio delay when VMS4100 (firmware version 6.8 or less) is set to Surround. The only workaround currently is switch to Stereo and miss all the surround in the content that has it but this will fix the audio delay.

0 Likes