Lip sync problem on HD
novapcguy
I know I can't be the only one who experiences the significant timing problems between the audio and video on HD. My wife refuses to watch programs such as news or commentary because of it - it looks like a poorly dubbed foreign movie from the 60s! Anyone have any suggestions (other than investing in a digital delay box for $250)?
0 Likes
Re: Lip sync problem on HD
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I don't know where you are loacted. I am in NY. I notice it on the new Showtimes & The Movie Channels. Supposedly it will be fixed in two weeks.
0 Likes
birdistasty

I noticed the problem on standard definition (lacking HD here), moreso on local channels than premium channels, and it seems to come and go.  I haven't figured it out yet, and so far I'm the only one in the household who seems to have noticed this.

Any clue what causes this?

0 Likes
RichieRich
Noticed the same thing: lips don't match the sound. It's unwatchable. Was getting this FIOS thing a mistake? Anyone ever hear of this sync problem with DishNetwork otr any other service?
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3
I've seen the "lip synching" problem on DirecTV also in (addition to very infrequently on FiOS).  It is usually the fault of the provider, not FiOS.  For example, I saw it recently on NBC's Olympics coverage on FiOS.  So I checked it on the over-the-air channel directly and the synchronization was equally as bad. 
Message Edited by PJL on 08-28-2008 11:32 AM
0 Likes
novapcguy

I've had a little time to research this on the web and apparently it's a common problem, especially prevalent in HD because the extra video processing takes a lot longer than the audio. Unfortunately it appears there are no real solutions. I did stumble onto a thread that suggested connecting your audio device (in my case the surround sound system) to the outputs on the HDTV, rather than the outputs on the STB. I tried it and it reduced the problem by about 80%. I guess this is the best I can hope for in the near term. I'm sure some electro-genius will develop a method to eliminate it completely, and then we'll all have to go out and buy new equipment again!

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@novapcguy wrote:

I've had a little time to research this on the web and apparently it's a common problem, especially prevalent in HD because the extra video processing takes a lot longer than the audio. Unfortunately it appears there are no real solutions. I did stumble onto a thread that suggested connecting your audio device (in my case the surround sound system) to the outputs on the HDTV, rather than the outputs on the STB. I tried it and it reduced the problem by about 80%. I guess this is the best I can hope for in the near term. I'm sure some electro-genius will develop a method to eliminate it completely, and then we'll all have to go out and buy new equipment again!

A method to eliminate it is already available.  Any modern audio units have the ability to add delay to the audio to match it up to the video delay, thus synching the audio.  Some TVs have this feature built in to them also. 

0 Likes
AtTheBeach
I have had this problem in the past with a DirecTV HD DVR. I was among the first to get HD DVR (4 years ago?) and the problem was very common then. Over the years the frequency of the problem has subsided so that now it's extremely rare - can't recall last time it happened. I'm about to dump DirecTV and switch to FIOS. I hope it's not a mistake.
0 Likes
WithAK
Oh that's ALL I have to do!!!
0 Likes
RichieRich

"...extremely rare"  LOL LOL

Well last night was "rare" I guess. I have deleted a bunch of channels from my Favorites 'cause the sound delay & lips is like watching a Godzilla movie!

0 Likes