Local Sports Issues on HD Channels
alom22

We have been having issues with several channels for a few months now in the Baltimore area. When trying to view these HD channels (MASN, MASN2, NBC Sports Washington and NFL Network), the feeds come through choppy and inconsistent, making it impossible to view the program that is airing.

We have tried all of the troubleshooting guidance provided by the website, but the problem remains. This is not an issue of the set-top boxes, as we recently upgraded our boxes to Fios TV One and the same problem persisted. This is not an issue with the TVs themselves, as we have replaced the TVs in both locations since we noticed this, and the problem persists.

I don't believe this is an issue with the coaxial wiring, as it occurs at both the locations in my house at two separate house level locations. We had the Fios One TV Mini connected via coaxial and then via just WiFi and the same problems occurred. 

We are concerned about this issue because we pay additional fees for all of the channels mentioned above (NFL Network included in the higher tier cable, and the local channels of MASN and NBC Sports Washington are paid monthly for the local sports fees). So it seems we are wasting money by paying for these HD channels when they are unwatchable.

Thank you to anyone in advance for any guidance and assistance! 
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Local Sports Issues on HD Channels
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alom22 wrote:

We have been having issues with several channels for a few months now in the Baltimore area. When trying to view these HD channels (MASN, MASN2, NBC Sports Washington and NFL Network), the feeds come through choppy and inconsistent, making it impossible to view the program that is airing.

We have tried all of the troubleshooting guidance provided by the website, but the problem remains. This is not an issue of the set-top boxes, as we recently upgraded our boxes to Fios TV One and the same problem persisted. This is not an issue with the TVs themselves, as we have replaced the TVs in both locations since we noticed this, and the problem persists.

I don't believe this is an issue with the coaxial wiring, as it occurs at both the locations in my house at two separate house level locations. We had the Fios One TV Mini connected via coaxial and then via just WiFi and the same problems occurred. 

We are concerned about this issue because we pay additional fees for all of the channels mentioned above (NFL Network included in the higher tier cable, and the local channels of MASN and NBC Sports Washington are paid monthly for the local sports fees). So it seems we are wasting money by paying for these HD channels when they are unwatchable.

When you see the problem occur, go to Menu>settings>system information and look at the SNR under Channel information, and OOB data. If they are not not GOOD, you likely have a local signal issue, possibly the ONT or the splitter. If GOOD, then the problem is most likely a transmission issue.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alom22 wrote:

When you see the problem occur, go to Menu>settings>system information and look at the SNR under Channel information, and OOB data. If they are not not GOOD, you likely have a local signal issue, possibly the ONT or the splitter. If GOOD, then the problem is most likely a transmission issue.

alom22

Thanks for the response! Do you know if it is the ONT or the splitter, is that something a Verizon tech covers and can fix? Or is that on the homeowner? Some of the channels I mentioned were GOOD, some were FAIR, for the SNR level.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@alom22 wrote:

Thanks for the response! Do you know if it is the ONT or the splitter, is that something a Verizon tech covers and can fix? Or is that on the homeowner? Some of the channels I mentioned were GOOD, some were FAIR, for the SNR level.

You can do the splitter yourself. Easy unscrew-rescrew cables. Make sure you replace with a MoCa 2.0 compliant splitter or you'll have issues. Replace all if you have more than one. The ONT has to be replaced by a tech on a home visit. You shouldn't get charged for that. Fair SNR will be an issue sometimes depending on content.