Re: Local channels via Clear QAM but no FIOS video service
PJL
Master - Level 3

@PJL wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

@PJL wrote:
The mandate applies but you still have to subscribe to th TV service. Would you expect Verizon to provide service for free? Prisaz, you are suggesting free basic TV service.

"Yes it would be nice to have the local only enabled on the ONT box by default."

I said it would be nice, but I didn't mean it would be realistic. Basic being only the local broadcast.Smiley Happy

I don't think any company provides TV service on a subscription system for free. But if you pay for the TV service for other TVs, the basic are transmited in the clear.

I am not sure what the cable companies policies are if you have internet only service. Can you legally connect a TV to the coax?

That is why I asked if you could hook a TV to an internet only CATV service. I don't think it is legal, and if installed properly the CATV should have a filter out at the CATV box preventing reception, since you only pay for Internet. Many CATV techs do not install them.

There is no such thing at "internet only CATV service."  Each FiOS service is a separate service.  There is no physical filtering device for FiOS service that would be installed by a technician to "filter" FiOS TV service such as you discuss.  It's a matter of how the services are provisioned (or not) for your account and what services are actually made available to you.  Said another way, just because you have some sort of FiOS service via fiber to the premise that may be converted to a coax output by the ONT (although it could be to Cat 5), that doesn't mean there is a television signal on the coax unless you subscribe to TV service.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@PJL wrote:

@PJL wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

@PJL wrote:
The mandate applies but you still have to subscribe to th TV service. Would you expect Verizon to provide service for free? Prisaz, you are suggesting free basic TV service.

"Yes it would be nice to have the local only enabled on the ONT box by default."

I said it would be nice, but I didn't mean it would be realistic. Basic being only the local broadcast.Smiley Happy

I don't think any company provides TV service on a subscription system for free. But if you pay for the TV service for other TVs, the basic are transmited in the clear.

I am not sure what the cable companies policies are if you have internet only service. Can you legally connect a TV to the coax?

That is why I asked if you could hook a TV to an internet only CATV service. I don't think it is legal, and if installed properly the CATV should have a filter out at the CATV box preventing reception, since you only pay for Internet. Many CATV techs do not install them.

There is no such thing at "internet only CATV service."  Each FiOS service is a separate service.  There is no physical filtering device for FiOS service that would be installed by a technician to "filter" FiOS TV service such as you discuss.  It's a matter of how the services are provisioned (or not) for your account and what services are actually made available to you.  Said another way, just because you have some sort of FiOS service via fiber to the premise that may be converted to a coax output by the ONT (although it could be to Cat 5), that doesn't mean there is a television signal on the coax unless you subscribe to TV service.

I was not referring to FiOS, but to any cable service, with internet! OK let me call it Internet only cable service provided by a CATV Company. Comcast is a Cable TV company that will provide Internet Only Service. Be it they don't like to, because many people try to connect a TV if there is no filtering.  I was only referencing it as an example. What ever, no big deal.Smiley FrustratedSmiley LOL

0 Likes
bevross
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon certainly doesn't advertise local only TV service -- it's hard to find out how much this even costs.  Does anyone know?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail/NR/rdonlyres/09769D3D-93F6-41CB-A214-6090DCD67BE3/0/FiOSTVRateS...

They don't hide it much. 

http://www22.verizon.com/home/fiostv/tv-packages/

Local Channels

FiOS TV Local Digital package provides access to the local digital TV channels and a wide variety of communication and educational programming options.

$12.99 /month

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

http://www22.verizon.com/NROneRetail/NR/rdonlyres/09769D3D-93F6-41CB-A214-6090DCD67BE3/0/FiOSTVRateS...

They don't hide it much. 

http://www22.verizon.com/home/fiostv/tv-packages/

Local Channels

FiOS TV Local Digital package provides access to the local digital TV channels and a wide variety of communication and educational programming options.

$12.99 /month

I agree, they don't hide it, but they also don't advertise it very much. And for anyone who follows that first link to the PDF, be careful, the date on that document is 2007, it is not exactly correct for 2012Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

I remember seeing it somewhere. Perhaps on the annual mailer. Do a Google Search for fios annual mailer 2012. See Page 9 of the 2012 Version. This could vary based on location. The PDF on Page 6 also explains what you can expect with and without a STB, or with a cable card device.

http://www22.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/buff_annual_notice_ol_v1r1.pdf

PDF also attached if the link gives issues.

The question is, will they sell it stand alone at $12.99 if you have double play, or add it as an option to double play? Would it then force you into Tripple Play and a new contract.

Also for all those upset about hardware prices. Page 11  item six states shipping charges may apply in regards to the hardware and pricing is subject to change. If you read it all. This was as of June 2012.

0 Likes