Re: Local channels with QAM Tuner
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to confirm ... you have TV service from Verizon, correct?   If not, you won't get any channels.

If you have service, if you take a STB from a different TV and connect it to the outlet and then to the TV in question, do you get channels?  If not, then the coax is not connected and you need to resolve that first.

If you get channels wit h the STB in the sequence, then check the TV setup and make sure you are set to Cable TV or QAM or Digital channel mode and not ATSC or NTSC or Air mode.  You need to make sure the TV uses the right tuners to look for the channels.

0 Likes
sharonp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh yes, I am a subscriber to FIOS with the HD package.  I went to www.silicondust.com/support/channels for the channels in my area and found the HD CBS local should be on 72-1506.  This was NOT found with a channel scan procedure, so when I manually  tune to that channel, it bounces back to 6.1 and I can see CBS, but when I use channel+/- to go to another channel, it disappears.  Does this make any sense?  I want to be able to record from my own dvr and the signal is not there when the recording turns on.  I have a Verizon dvr on one tv, but on the bedroom tv I want to be able to record for those times that I have 2 scheduled on the Verizon dvr.

I am already paying plenty for this FIOS service--I don't want to pay to rent another dvr.  I should be able to see the local HDs in a reliable manner and right now I can't.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

just a thought,   is this room properly wired into the splitter that has all of your other FiOS boxes?

If the room is not hooked to the splitter that connects to the fios broadcast, then it won't have a way to find channels.

If it IS hooked to that splitter, then you may have a bad leg of cable going to where your new TV is.  there are a lot of people that get these QAM stations, but its dependant on the fact that they are wired properly and have a good coax cable and not one that is seeing too much loss of signal.

Also when you went to silicondust did you use the drop down to select fios?   Silicon dust gives all the OTA and QAM stations but it gives it for every cable provider, so you have to use the drop down list to select fios.

If you can get to 6.1 then that would imply you have it wired properly, but you may still have a weak signal that won't let you tune to certain stations.  you may want to retighten the coax cable to the TV set and to the FiOS splitter or replace that cable (if it's too long, you can pay someone to come out and do that for you, most contractors or electricians can do that kind of work, or verizon can come out, but I think they charge close to 100 to do it)

0 Likes
hmsrocinante
Enthusiast - Level 2

Indeed, when I let my Panasonic complete the full channel scan procedure, it found quite a lot of QAM channels, over 100. I pared it down because some were just black screens, but it's still above 50, with maybe 5 in HD.

0 Likes
sharonp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's getting better after tightening up all connections (maybe??), but I still can't 'keep' the lowest frequency channel in the tuner.  CBS is on 6.1 and it keeps dropping out when I tune to another channel and come back.  I can get ABC (8.1), NBC (12.1) and PBS (23.1) but NOT 6.1 with direct input.  Sometimes it works by going past it on the dial, going to 8 and coming back down, sometimes it doesn't work.

And I certainly DO NOT get 50 channels!  Smiley Mad

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@SharonP wrote:

Well, it's getting better after tightening up all connections (maybe??), but I still can't 'keep' the lowest frequency channel in the tuner.  CBS is on 6.1 and it keeps dropping out when I tune to another channel and come back.  I can get ABC (8.1), NBC (12.1) and PBS (23.1) but NOT 6.1 with direct input.  Sometimes it works by going past it on the dial, going to 8 and coming back down, sometimes it doesn't work.

And I certainly DO NOT get 50 channels!  Smiley Mad

Actually you do.  None of the SD channels will typically map to their OTA equiv. as they don't contain the PSIP information (what remaps the QAM channel to to something familiar).  So 6 SD will not be found at 6 but somewhere in the QAM map inder something like 65.1 (just an example, not intending to specifically locate the channel).  The PEG channels can typically be found at something like 125.1 or 128.1 (these vary from VHO to VHO and are part of the 50 channels to which you refer).

0 Likes