Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Local stations via antenna=HD Local stations via FiOS= pay $10.00/month for HD box: Not cool!

cool16v
Contributor
Contributor

Local stations via antenna=HD Local stations via FiOS= pay $10.00/month for HD box: Not cool!

Message 1 of 3
(2,922 Views)

Long story short- My bill was getting to high so I cut my TV service and kept my phone/internet.  But, I signed up for a recent promotion and not I'm back with TV/phone/internet again, but.....

1. I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

2. With my antenna I get all my LOCAL channels in HD: 4, 5, 8, 11, 13-1, 13-2, plus others I don't watch.

3. Verizon "hooked-me-up" with Standard box at no cost but failed to mention that I wouldn't even get my local channels in HD.

What really disturbs me is that I can get local channels via antenna in HD but verizon wants me to pay $10/month for an HD set top box for local HD channels that are otherwise FREE!  WHY?

I can understand they would charge for other cable channels in HD but why make you pay for your local channels in HD too?

Outside of the ten bucks a month extra, is there anything we can do?  Where to I file formal complaints for this kind of issue?

I look forward to your feedback.

2 REPLIES 2
Justin
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Local stations via antenna=HD Local stations via FiOS= pay $10.00/month for HD box: Not cool!

Message 2 of 3
(2,915 Views)

@cool16v wrote:

Long story short- My bill was getting to high so I cut my TV service and kept my phone/internet.  But, I signed up for a recent promotion and not I'm back with TV/phone/internet again, but.....

1. I live in Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

2. With my antenna I get all my LOCAL channels in HD: 4, 5, 8, 11, 13-1, 13-2, plus others I don't watch.

3. Verizon "hooked-me-up" with Standard box at no cost but failed to mention that I wouldn't even get my local channels in HD.

What really disturbs me is that I can get local channels via antenna in HD but verizon wants me to pay $10/month for an HD set top box for local HD channels that are otherwise FREE!  WHY?

I can understand they would charge for other cable channels in HD but why make you pay for your local channels in HD too?

Outside of the ten bucks a month extra, is there anything we can do?  Where to I file formal complaints for this kind of issue?

I look forward to your feedback.

Feel free to complain to anyone you want, you are not going to get anywhere. Verizon is providing you a service by offering you those stations, if you don't want them, don't get them, don't pay the $10/month. Really, really simple, discontinue the TV part and watch over the air from your antenna.

If you didn't understand that the free SD STB doesn't receive HD channels (what do you think SD stands for?), whose fault is that? It is clearly yours, you should understand what you are ordering/getting.

Now, if your TV is a newer HD TV and has a QAM tuner, you do not need Verizon's HD STB box to get the local channels, you can connect the TV directly to the coax, go through the setup on the TV, and it will find all of the local HD channels. But the number of channels you will get will be limited to mostly the local channels, unlike what you can get with the HD box (assuming you have ordered a channel package that contains more than the local channels).

1) Does your HD TV have a QAM tuner? If so, try using it and see if that satisfies you.

2) What channel package do you currently have from Verizon?

3) Have you connected your antenna coax to the TV so you can get the local HD channels and connected the SD box to the component or composite inputs on the TV for the SD output from the SD box? If not, try that and see if it will satisfy you, all you will need to do is switch the channel input between antenna and cable using your remote control. Of course all of the channels you get via the SD box wil be in SD, but maybe that will satisfy you since you would get the local HD channels via the antenna.

4) Or bite the bullet and pay the $10 for the HD box.

I hope this helps, at least a little.

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Local stations via antenna=HD Local stations via FiOS= pay $10.00/month for HD box: Not cool!

Message 3 of 3
(2,833 Views)

They aren't charging you for the HD channels.   

They are providing equipment with different capabilities.

It's like going to a store looking at a DVD player and a BluRAY player, and then complaining that the DVD player can't play BluRAY. 

It's a hardware limitation.   So they offer the inexpensive model complimentary. Enjoy it.  Enjoy your HD antenna that you can still have hooked up.

If you decide to upgrade one day, Verizon will make you an offer.   But they don't charge you for the actual HD channels. 

OH and something that just came across my mind, is if your TV is newer (it might be) then it may support Digital Cable TV hook up straight to the back of the TV without the need for an antenna.  You would have to check your manual for that. 

If it does then you would get your SD and HD locals plus your government access channels. 

You should read this FAQ. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title