Lose history at end of pause buffer???
nt4cats
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am not sure how long the pause buffer is (it isn't important for this posting), so let's assume for the sake of this issue that it is 15 minutes.

If I am watching TV, and then I get a phone call and hit pause .... and then talk on the phone for 14 minutes and 50 seconds ... walk back into my living room, but don't get to the remote before the 15 minute buffer fills up -- without me touching anything my show/game skips forward to show live TV.  I've just missed 15 minutes of whatever I was watching.

My TiVo (which was GREAT before it died) *and* my DirecTV DVR (which was overall an unstable piece of garbage) would simply start playing from the beginning of the buffer once it was full (so that you'd be 15 minutes behind live TV).  That way if you leave it paused for 19 minutes (exceeding the buffer by 4 minutes), you only miss 4 minutes of TV.  In the case of my FIOS DVR, if I leave it paused for 19 minutes, I miss 19 minutes.

I'm hoping this is simply a configuration option that I can't find ...  I am a very happy FIOS customer, and other than a rare audio drop-out in recorded HD programs (one out of every 10 shows will have 5 seconds of audio missing in the middle), this is the only issue I have.

Tags (2)
Re: Lose history at end of pause buffer???
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Did you try rewinding it to see if the buffer was still there?
0 Likes
nt4cats
Enthusiast - Level 1

No I haven't tried, because most of the times this has happened to me I've been watching a sporting event, and once I see it "live" (and know what the "live" score is), it spoils the "missed" 15 minutes.

I would expect that the content is there (just like if you're watching a show you can rewind it even if you haven't paused).

It just doesn't make sense that it skips forward 15 minutes (or however long the buffer is) once it has been paused that long.

Does this same thing happen to other people, too, or is it just me?

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I never pause that long, but I have seen others say the same thing so I think that is the way it works.
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

I used to have Comcast's iGuide before I switched to FiOS. 

One thing I loved about the iGuide was I was able to pause one tuner then swap the to the other tuner and then pause and swap back to the prior tuner and hit play.  It would still be paused and I would resume from that point.  Why was this great?

Watching NFL games.  While two games are on at the same time, one on CBS and the other on FOX.  I wouldn't miss a thing.  Also the buffer for the iGuide was much longer.  In some cases an hour and a half of buffer was normal.

I would really like to see the IMG add this functionality.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Yes it has pissed me off more then once. I too have had Direct TV DVR and Dishnetwork DVR and never had this problem. It worked as you stated. But I think it bufferd 1/2hr. Also I have had a program buffered and watching the rest and it just skipped to the live program at the end of the period in which the currenly buffered program was recording. Like it is 6:48 and I walk back to the TV at 6:55 and start watching, WOW what a **bleep**, at 7:00 it jumped to the new live program. Yea I have not been happy, more then once. I have decided that if I am not going to pause it for more the a few minutes, hit record and then play it back from my dvr. Pause will just make you angry.
0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
Nascar: with the new IMG 1.6 version you will be able to pause the tuners and swap them.
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Excellent! How long is the buffer?

@matcarl wrote:
Nascar: with the new IMG 1.6 version you will be able to pause the tuners and swap them.
0 Likes
regular_guy1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Additionally, Verizon’s incorporated a variety of subtle enhancements subscribers should appreciate - such as concurrent 60 minute buffers on both tuners within a snappier and more efficient interface (less clicking “OK”).

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2008-08/the-verizon-fios-tv-16-update/

-rg

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Ok the buffer is bigger, but the most problems I have had is when the buffer stops recording due to the show being over. Then the playback skips what you are watching and jumps to the new program. It has happened to me more then once. BIG BUG? Not every time and seems to happen at random. Perhaps that was a 1.5 bug. I will need to try again.
0 Likes