Loss of DVR capacity
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone noted a loss in DVR recording capacity assoicated with the deletion of their "Programs" from the lasted automatic reboot/update action by Verizon?  I've determined that my DVR recording capacity has been reduced by 28-30% from this action by Verizon.

Thanks.

Re: Loss of DVR capacity
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I haven't seen anything like what you described, but it might be helpful for other users here on the forum to chime in if you answer a couple of questions:

1) What make and model DVR do you have?

and

2) How did you determine that your recording capacity has been reduced?

0 Likes
Re: Loss of DVR capacity
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem

On 02/15/2016 at 6:31pm EDT my TV picture and DVR froze for a moment, then went into reboot.  After the reboot I determined that all of my recorded programs had been deleted and that my DVR capacity (contracted for 100 HD hours) had been reduced by 24 to 28%.  The deletion of the recordings is a problem many people have apparently experienced and is a software/network issue that Verizon has stated they are currently trying to address.

DVR Capacity Loss-Currently

-I'm contracted for a 100 HD hour capacity.  Currently my DVR's "Check Capaicty" states that 65 HD hours have been recorded (which should be 65% capacity used), but says 84% capacity used (a 23% reduction in capacity that I should have available).  (I note that no SD programs have been recorded). 

DVR Capacity Loss-Verizon response

-I just spoke with a Verizon supervisor (3:45pm EDT,  02/19/2016) about the problem with the loss of my contracted DVR capacity after the noted 02/15/2016 reboot (that also wiped out all my recordings).  The supervisor spent spend about 20 mintues with me doing checks and reboots of the DVR.  He confirmed the loss in capacity, but could not correct it.  He said that this will also be put on the "list" of things to fix in the coming weeks.

-"Sales" stated that they will give me a $12.50 credit on my current bill. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Therefore, you should check on your available DVR capacity vs. what you should have available per your contract with Verizon.

Thanks.

Re: loss of DVR capacity- DVR Model
ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

I note that my DVR Model is VMS1100.   I renewed my contract with Verizon in August 2015 and received the VMS1100 and and upgrade to Quantum FiOS (200 hours HD capacity).  After a couple of months I downgraded back to my previous 100 hours HD capacity service.  Everything has been fine until 02-15-2016 when my DVR automatically rebooted with the result of having deleted all my recorded programs and, additionally, reducing my available DVR capacity by about 25%.

Re: loss of DVR capacity- DVR Model
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

OK, FWIW I also have a VMS1100 but have not seen the problem you've had.  At the moment  checking capacity shows I have 55 hours of HD recording and 32% of my capacity used.  Go figure, since I pay for 100 hours as you do.

While I haven't seen any reports on the forum of the reduced capacity there have been several about the firmware update causing a reboot and loss of all recordings.  I'm assuming that has happened often enough that Verizon knows about it and has the manufacturer working on a fix.

In the mean time, I don't know what I'd do in your situation.  I'm thinking I'd ask for a new VMS1100.  Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea.

Good luck.

0 Likes