Manage your DVR via Internet
LongTimeClient1

I received SPOTLIGHT Magazine from Verizon in the mail today. Why I don't receive this via email, I'll never know. Regardless, I actually found a feature that I didn't have to pay for, entitled HOT TO: GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR FiOS DVR. I attempted to activate Remote DVR and received the following message: Remote DVR Activation Failure. Remote DVR is not supported on non-Verizon routers. Remote DVR service works only with the Verizon supplied routers and with no changes to the original setup. Since you are using your own router and/or firewall setup we cannot enable Remote DVR on your account.

Two concerns:

1) Verizon Support helped me configure my WIRELESS ROUTER to work on the network, so I do not accept your AUTOMATED ANSWER of "Since you are using your own router and/or firewall setup we cannot enable Remote DVR on your account." Get over this and fix it!

2) It's amazing in this day and age that I can download software, update my Banking accounts, Security Accounts, Credit Card accounts, without altering my FIREWALL SETUP. Are you a Technology Company or what? If CITIBANK, CHASE, MY COMMUNITY CREDIT UNION, FIDELITY INVESTMENTS, MICROSOFT, QUICKEN, and HUNDREDS OF NON-TECHNOLOGY COMPANIES can get around my FIREWALL, why can't you?

This is unacceptable, and needs to get escalated. Please have someone in your Customer Satisfaction Management Team contact me by email or via phone..... there's no FIREWALL on my phone, so you should be able to get through! 

0 Likes
Re: Manage your DVR via Internet
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at:
http://www.verizon.com/contactus

0 Likes
LongTimeClient1

Thanks for the "Friendly reminder", and the moving of my entry to this Forum. I have already used http://www.verizon.com/contactus to contact Customer Service. So far, you are the only person to respond to my entry. I believe that when there is a problem the more visibility the better. 

Since my entry requested a call back from the Customer Satisfaction Managemet Team, I think it would have been more appropriate for you to forward my entry to someone in that capacity who could influence the appropriate people to resolve my concern.... or did you? 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, a forum moderator’s job is to maintain the forum itself, so we are typically unable to access accounts or provide support information on an individual basis. Since this is a peer to peer forum, you might ask for support from your fellow members if what you received/heard from support was not satisfactory.

0 Likes
LongTimeClient1

I disagree. As a Forum Moderator, you should make sure that entries are routed to the Responsible area(s), not just another Forum. I see a lot of Customer Satisfaction issues in the Forums. Is there a Customer Satisfaction group that reviews the Forums for issues? Maybe there should be a separate Forum for Customer Satisfaction?

I tried to locate an email address for ANY Verizon Executive, or even an email address for the person or Team that published the article in SPOTLIGHT, to NO satisfaction. Does Verizon Management care what their Clients think of their goods and services?      

Rather than ask my peers, I believe this needs to be escalated to, and ultimately resolved by Verizon Management.  

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

The forum is separate from Verizon technical support and services. You need to contact Verizon through the page which you have used, and request an address to send such feedback.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

As Elizabeth has tried very nicely to tell you, this is a user-helping-user forum. It is NOT a place for you to demand Verizon take action, or contact you, etc. It IS a place where you can ask questions and hope other users can help you (and you of course can help other users).

Based on your post, I can't tell for sure whether you are using a Verizon-provided router or not, despite the message. Are you?

If yes, then of course you should not be getting that error message, and the Remote DVR service should work.

If no, then that is your choice, you made a decision to use your own device, and Verizon cannot or will not (their choice) be able to provide some services, like Remote DVR. I do not know for sure why Verizon limits the Remote DVR function to their routers, but my guess would be that they cannot get network access to your router to set the proper values in the router for the Remote DVR function to work. I don't believe it has anything to do with your Firewall.

You should be able to fix this problem by replacing your router with a Verizon-provided router. I have been using Remote DVR through my Verizon router for several years, works just fine.

Your choice.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

So, I'll take some peer-to-peer technical assistance. I'm having some difficulty managing my DVR via the Internet. When I try to set up a recording, it says my set top box is not responding. What do you think I should do?

0 Likes
fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

Nevermind. The In-home Agent helped me. For the record, you need to do the following using your remote:

Menu > Settings > Remote DVR Access > Web Access > Push "Ok" and then enter your 4 digit pin.

0 Likes
fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

@fan21yanks wrote:

Nevermind. The In-home Agent helped me. For the record, you need to do the following using your remote:

Menu > Settings > Remote DVR Access > Web Access > Push "Ok" and then enter your 4 digit pin.

Posted too soon! It says it's enabled on the set top box, but now when I try to record something from the listings online, it says "Bad Gateway." Anyone know what to do? Help please!

0 Likes