Re: Manage your DVR via Internet
Justin46
Legend

@fan21yanks wrote:

So, I'll take some peer-to-peer technical assistance. I'm having some difficulty managing my DVR via the Internet. When I try to set up a recording, it says my set top box is not responding. What do you think I should do?

I'll give it a shot, and hopefully others will chime in. But first, has it ever worked and just quit, or never worked? If never, I would do step 1 and try again.

1) Make sure Remote DVR web access is enabled:

Menu ==> Settings ==> FiOS TV Remote DVR ==> Web Access ==> enter your PIN ==> Status (should be Enabled)

If it is not enabled, do so, then try from the web. If it is enabled, I suggest you do the following:

2) Go into the Menu on the DVR and make sure it is online:

Menu ==> Settings ==> System Information ==> IP Address (should be 192.168.1.10x) and Network Status (should be Online)

3) Log into the router and make sure it sees the DVR. All of the devices on your network should show in the middle of the initial page you see. Verify that the IP Address shown here matches the one the DVR shows.

If the above isn't correct, that needs to be fixed first, usually by rebooting the router and the DVR, then waiting a little while. And even if it is correct, it won't hurt to reboot them both, other than a brief internet outage.

4) Reboot the router:

Advanced icon ==> Yes ==> Reboot Router (3rd item in left hand box). go through the boot, wait until it is back up and iternet works.

5) Reboot the DVR:

Menu ==> Customer Support ==> In-Home Agent ==> Reboot STB

There are some tools here in In-Home Agent that might help first if you want to try them. 

6) After doing the above I would go back and make sure the DVR is online and the IP Addresses match in the router and DVR.

I would do the above just to make sure all is good in the home part of the issue.

7) Log into MyVerizon, then:

My Services ==> TV ==> My TV

😎 Now click on the Set Top Boxes link. Does the DVR show up in the list of STBs with the usage bar? If so, you should be able to click on the Manage this DVR button to schedule recordings, etc. If not, then I think there is a problem with your account definition that you are going to have to contact Verizon to get fixed. You might try the Chat option under Contact Us at the bottom of this page, some people have reported good results using the Chat vs. going through the phone system. Of course others here might have some better ideas.... Smiley Happy

Hope the above helps. If it works, great. If it doesn't, and you want to pursue further with someone here, tell us exactly where you get the failure, with error message, etc.

Keller, TX 76248

fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Justin wrote:
3) Log into the router and make sure it sees the DVR. All of the devices on your network should show in the middle of the initial page you see. Verify that the IP Address shown here matches the one the DVR shows.

If the above isn't correct, that needs to be fixed first, usually by rebooting the router and the DVR, then waiting a little while. And even if it is correct, it won't hurt to reboot them both, other than a brief internet outage.

4) Reboot the router:

Advanced icon ==> Yes ==> Reboot Router (3rd item in left hand box). go through the boot, wait until it is back up and iternet works.

Keller, TX 76248

Thanks, Justin! I completed steps 1 and 2, but I'm stuck on steps 3 and 4. How do I "log into the router?" Is that something you do with the remote on the set top box (as with steps 1 and 2)? Or do I "log into the router" through My Verizon online?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@fan21yanks wrote:

Thanks, Justin! I completed steps 1 and 2, but I'm stuck on steps 3 and 4. How do I "log into the router?" Is that something you do with the remote on the set top box (as with steps 1 and 2)? Or do I "log into the router" through My Verizon online?

You use your browser (IE, Google Chrome, Firefox, whatever). You enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. When the router responds, the user name you enter should be "admin" and the password should be the serial number of the router, which you can find on the label on the router. (by the way, just ignore the extra asterisks that are generated when you type in the password, just don't look at the screen, type it in as you know it to be).

Keller, TX 76248

fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Justin wrote:

You use your browser (IE, Google Chrome, Firefox, whatever). You enter 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. When the router responds, the user name you enter should be "admin" and the password should be the serial number of the router, which you can find on the label on the router. (by the way, just ignore the extra asterisks that are generated when you type in the password, just don't look at the screen, type it in as you know it to be).

Keller, TX 76248

There are several numbers on the router label. The one I entered is the last one. The one that doesn't have a name. It didn't work. The other numbers on the router are labeled:

• ESSID
  • WEP KEY
  • WPS PIN
  • WAN MAC
0 Likes
fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just tried all the number--including the "unit address" that I found under "System Info"--and none of them worked. Not sure what to do now.

0 Likes
fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

My router has been configured to be a different name than the factory default settings. So, I need to reset the router to the factory default. Ugh. Who knew this would be so difficult. Everything is a hassle, it seems. I simply want to manage my DVR from my laptop when I'm away from home. Geez!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@fan21yanks wrote:

My router has been configured to be a different name than the factory default settings. So, I need to reset the router to the factory default. Ugh. Who knew this would be so difficult. Everything is a hassle, it seems. I simply want to manage my DVR from my laptop when I'm away from home. Geez!

Well, if the login has been changed and you don't know what it is, then yes, you will need to do a reset.

What kind of router do you have? I have an Actiontec, the serial number on mine is below the bar code on the label, and starts with CSJDxxxxxxxxxx. (Note: just an FYI, within 10 minutes of getting my router I went in and changed the login name and password to something only I know).

Of course it may not really be necessary to reset the router. I am just trying to go through a (hopefully) logical process to identify where the problem is. You can certainly skip that step and see what else you can find. But, really, you should know how to log into the router anyway in case you want to make changes in the future. And for example, if you are using any wireless connections to the router, I highly recommend you change the encryption from WEP to WPA or even better WPA2. WEP is apparently very easy for someone to break, WPA2 is apparently very difficult.

Anyway, good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

fan21yanks
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everything's all fixed now. I didn't need to reset my router. It was my first time accessing DVR from online, so it just took a while for the activation to activate. Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@fan21yanks wrote:

Everything's all fixed now. I didn't need to reset my router. It was my first time accessing DVR from online, so it just took a while for the activation to activate. Thanks again for your help!

You are welcome, glad it is working now. You know, I almost suggested you sit back and wait a while after you posted that you did not have the remote web service activated in the DVR. But I didn't......stupid, stupid, stupid me. Sorry about that......

I still suggest you try to figure out how to log into the router, you may really need to do so some time in the future.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes