Mandated Video Description for the Blind
blink183

Does anybody have a contact who is knowledgeable about accessing the video description for the blind over FiOS that was mandated as of July 1? In speaking with a technician it appears that the DVS is accessed via a menu structure on the set-top box and the on-screen menus are not accessible to a person with a print disability. Is there a model of set-top box that provides top-level access to the video description feature and how does one go about requesting that this model be installed? Is there a way to acces the menu structure by memorizing key sequences to be entered into the remote such as punching numbers to access menu options? The problem is that some TV stations provide Spanish programming or no audio on the secondary audio channel when video description is not provided, so the viewer with a print disability will need to be able to effectively enable and disable the SAP channel. Finally, if the local FiOS distributor is not passing through the SAP feed, how does one go about reporting this to Verizon in order get the issue resolved so as to not have to file a complaint with the FCC?

0 Likes
Re: Mandated Video Description for the Blind
blink183

Background on the FCC video description rules: http://www.fcc.gov/document/fccs-video-description-rules-now-effect

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think you should report it to verizon either Via chat by clicking the link on the bottom of the page that says contact us, and describing it as a CC service or closed captioning service, I am pretty sure all major providers should have a special process to follow for reporting that, or call 1-800-VERIZON

I have never heard of any special number for that, but you may also want to try the TTY line  They may have info for you about it?

Call 7-1-1 or 1-800-955-8771 using a TTY to take advantage of the relay service.

Voice communication is available at 1-800-955-8770.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

I think the DVS option in the menu is currently the only way with verizon.

Note digital equivalent of sap is supported.  Options, audio language, select language, again not easy for the legally blind.

0 Likes