Many HD Channels Fuzzy/Won't Record, Tech Support Not Helping!
MBGreen

HD channels are a mess! On & off for the past 6 months most of our HD channels are fuzzy and won't record anything on DVR. Occasionally we get the "channel not in operation" message on the screen. I've called tech support 3 times and they tell me to unscrew the cable and plug it back in which does nothing. This is after going through 30 minutes of prompts to get to a person! It seems to impact channels like Bravo, A&E, Food Network and ESPN the most frequently. If this doesn't stop soon I'm going to cancel HD service. Any advice??

0 Likes
Re: Many HD Channels Fuzzy/Won't Record, Tech Support Not Helping!
Justin46
Legend

Any advice? Yes, check your cable connections Smiley Very Happy But check them all, at the ONT, at the splitter, at the wall, and at the TV. One loose connection anywhere in the path can cause those symptoms.

Also, check your signal to noise ration of a couple of the channels that have a problem. To do that, tune to one of the bad channels, then on the STB:

Menu ==> Customer Support ==> Self Diagnostics ==> Start

After the diagnostic completes, see what the OOB S/N Ratio is. Mine is 24db, and I think that is about what it is supposed to be. If it is way off, that indicates a bad signal is being received by the STB. Repeat for several of the bad channels, and if you happen to have some "good" HD channels at the same time, run the diagnostic for one or two of the good channels for comparison. 

Also, do you have only one HD TV and STB? If not, is it on all TVs, or just one? And if you have multiple HD boxes, I suggest you swap them and see if the problem follows the box (STB problem) or stays (cable problem).

Let us know what you find.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was going to say the same things Justin ... but the part that has me confused is the term "fuzzy".   Fuzzy doesn't apply in the digital world as you know -- it's all or nothing (or pixelization), not "fuzzy".

Can the OP describe what they mean by "fuzzy"?  You mean like "snow" in the picture, or pixelization (small square blocks break up the image), or something else?

What's the connection between the box and the TV?

0 Likes
MBGreen

Sorry, I meant pixelization - small boxes across the TV breaking up the picture and the sound is a mess too.

0 Likes
ravioli
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK ... that makes me feel better ... sort of.   So then, now we need the answers to Justin's questions and my question about the type of connection between the STB and TV.

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

Hello. I am having the same problems with my tv in my bedroom. I ran the diagnostic check and I am getting a S/N ratio of 14 db. I am going to chek the other rooms in the house and check all my connections and get back to you.

0 Likes
eileen15
Enthusiast - Level 1

We recently, 05/27/2012 to present...started having the pixelation on some channels as well.   It's on both the lower regular channels and the upper > 500 channels.  We do not have the super duper HD package (makes me crazy that when you switch to the HD service which costs more you can't get all the HD channels).

Past couple days some channels don't come through at all.   After doing the hit B button, and following steps.  Same thing.   We called in to troubleshoot and they took us through all the steps you mention...all with no results.   I almost thought the things the tech support guy were asking me to do were a contest to see how many ridiculous things they could get you to do.  He did warn that if it ends up being a problem inside the house Verizon will charge you for it.  His last suggested was to swap out the splitter so that's the last thing to try.   If it's not that our options are cancel or see what Verizon is going to charge to fix it.  My question is if they come out, how will I know if it was really in the house or outside?  I'm very frustrated with them.   The monthly bill is high enough, you'd think the service would be better.

0 Likes
pkegney
Contributor - Level 1

Justin 06-23-2010 04:38 PM "Re: Many HD Channels Fuzzy/Won'​t Record, Tech Support Not Helping! .....After the diagnostic completes, see what the OOB S/N Ratio is. Mine is 24db ..... MINE is 26.6/7db with one QIP6416-P1 and one QIP7232-2 on Triple Play setup, so by my estimate 24db is kinda low

0 Likes
pkegney
Contributor - Level 1

eileen1 06-06-2012 09:20 PM "Re: Many HD Channels Fuzzy/Won'​t Record, Tech Support Not Helping!. ....We recently, 05/27/2012 to present...started having the pixelation on some channels as well.   It's on both the lower regular channels and the upper > 500 channels.  We do not have the super duper HD package (makes me crazy that when you switch to the HD service which costs more you can't get all the HD channels). ...as you've recently read: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Pixaling-problem/m-p/445443, problem this is long standing issue, which has yet to be resolved as soon as one arises I will similarly post it to these forum pages.

Past couple days some channels don't come through at all.   After doing the hit B button, and following steps.  Same thing.   We called in to troubleshoot and they took us through all the steps you mention...all with no results.   I almost thought the things the tech support guy were asking me to do were a contest to see how many ridiculous things they could get you to do. ...Yep, just like untold millions of other customers who are similarly being forced to diagnose their own systems and home network. It seems the people you contact on the telephone have neither right the tools or the know how to fix this issue. It has to do with the actual signal to your home versus signal to your STB(s). It usually requires a personal visit from VZ tech to diagnose properly. My last 3 techs advised me on this matter of pixelling.

He did warn that if it ends up being a problem inside the house Verizon will charge you for it. (Not Good) His last suggested was to swap out the splitter so that's the last thing to try. (Not a good idea, if you fix or install that then it becomes your problem, if they replace it it becomes Verizon's problem) If it's not that our options are cancel or see what Verizon is going to charge to fix it.  My question is if they come out, how will I know if it was really in the house or outside?  I'm very frustrated with them.   The monthly bill is high enough, you'd think the service would be better. ...I would definately advise you to pick up the Verizon's in-home wiring maintanence plan so then everything Verizon fixes and/or replaces is covered under the plan. However we're still stuck with the analysis and diagnostic phase of our VZ connection until a better solution arises.

In-Home agent I found useless with this issue no matter how many times Verizon suggested it. It fixed only one issue a long, long time ago with internet connectivity issue using Windows and had nothing to do with video curcuit. I did hear that it will however reboot your STB box which is the same thing as unplugging it and then plugging it back in. Somebody may find this useful but as many times as VZ tech told me to perform the later excercise rather than former. In-Home agent becomes kind of a mute solution.

0 Likes
abhi_col
Contributor - Level 3
OOB Snr has nothing to do with your live TV signal. If you really want to check signal strength for live TV, follow this:
Press power, select, select (twice) on front of stb.
It will bring up a diagnostics screen.
Go to D03/D04 Inband status and press select.
Now on this screen look for - SNR and the DB number.
For hd channels anything greater than 34 but less than 40 is good.
For sd channels 30 - 40 is good.

If signal is not in this range, unplug power to stb, disconnect coax (rf in or fios tv in) from stb and walljack, wait 2-3 mins and connect all back. See if issue resolved.
If not resolved, unplug power again and find the splitter. On splitter, unscrew and re-screw one coax at a time. Plug power back to stb.
If still not fixed, take the non working stb to a working room and hook it up there. If it works then stb is perfectly fine and you need a field tech to come out. Call fios.
If stb does same thing in working location then its a stb issue. Try auto correct from in home agent. Call fios for a replacement. If you are in NJ, store will replace it.
0 Likes