McAfee Security Center Users and DVR Issues
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All, If anyone is using the McAfee Security Center software, (it came preloaded on a lot of Dell Studio XPS desktops), and you are having remote access to your DVR issues:

(B.T.W., Dell Studio XPS, i5 Intel, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, HD monitor, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS, Vz FIOS 25/5 Internet Service.)

McAfee has got major problems on their hands. First, after working fine since December 2010, Windows Live Picture Gallery stopped working. I had to disable the virus scanning to get it to operate. Recently, I could not remotely access my DVR from the Vz website. Error message was "Bad Gateway". I disabled the McAfee firewall and now I can utilize all of the controls from the web site.

Back in the day, using common vernacular, wisdom dictated you never ran two firewalls simultaneously.  Now according to MS, Win 7 allows it.  I would disable the Win 7 firewall, but my trust level in McAfee is not exactly high right now.

This is just what worked for me, if it can help someone out there in Vz land, great.  RJ MacReady

0 Likes