Re: Media Manager streaming music problem
mkgator2
Does anyone stream music from Media Manager?
0 Likes
Media Manager, very poorly coded software. Music playing will not work,.
surgey
Enthusiast - Level 2
If you look on this forum, and on the internet, alot of people are having the same problem.
This software is very, very, veryyyyy poorly coded -- and don't bother calling tech support, {please keep your posts courteous} 

I've been researching this problem all day, and still can't find a solution...however, it's either one of two things:

1.) Codec problem.  The proper codec isn't registered to decode mp3s from the media manager program.
2.) Problem with the temporary file directory (which seems to be the issue for me).

Post this log for me, and I'll see if I can help you:

If on XP, C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Verizon\Verizon Media Manager\AudioTranscoder.log
If on Vista, C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Verizon\Verizon Media Manager\AudioTranscoder.log

Here's what mine says (the problem line anyways):

2009/07/23 18:15:00.105 Transcoding Complete!!! Input File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Verizon\Verizon Media Manager\Sample Media\Sample Fios Music\Vision of Persistence.mp3 Output File: C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\Verizon\Verizon Media Manager\\MMCache\Vision of Persistence. 192.168.1.4.wav

Notice the output file path...it's wrong.  
I installed this on an XP box and it seemed to work OK, except that on Vista it's missing the FIOSMMC folder (which should be in that line between the two slashes).

It seems as though on Vista, the program did not correctly create the temporary directory properly.

I am trying to find out if the location that it stores the Temp files is stored in the registry so I can change it, but I can't find the proper Key (if it IS in fact stored in the registry somewhere).  I am going to keep digging, but I have been at this all day -- have a big headache and I am about to give up.

Conclusion:

A high school AP Computer Science student could write better software than this.
Get real verizon.
Message Edited by surgey on 07-23-2009 03:40 PM
Message Edited by surgey on 07-23-2009 03:40 PM
Message Edited by ElizabethS on 07-23-2009 04:59 PM
0 Likes
Re: Media Manager, very poorly coded software. Music playing will not work,.
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

Hooooold on

Hooooooooooooold on

Hooooooooooooooooooooold on there...

Are you trying to insinuate that Verizon probably didn't spend much money, time or effort on a best effort, provided as-is FREE media program? (Yea, that "FREE" part is begging for flames)

Or that a telecom company who is trying to grab a piece of that sweet, sweet content provider profit pie should?

You get out of town!

0 Likes
surgey
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not free... it's a feature that comes along with the home DVR service or whatever it's called.
I can assure you that I pay for this service and would like the software to work.
In fact, this is pretty much the ONLY reason I got the home DVR package.
The lame **bleep** DVR has it's storage ports purposely crippled by verzion, rendering the unit completely and utterly useless -- EXCEPT for the Media Manager feature -- now this is actually something cool.

I didn't want to get into the reasons why it's coded this way -- frankly I don't care, I am just trying to figure out how to make it work.

I have been unsuccessful in locating the exact variable in the registry where MM stores the transcoded temp files, which leads me to believe it's *not* in the registry.

Next step is hex editing the DLL's and software itself -- hopefully I can find it.

If anyone else has any ideas...?  By the way, is there a mac\linux version of this?
[keep it legal]

Message Edited by surgey on 07-23-2009 04:14 PM

Message Edited by ElizabethS on 07-23-2009 04:58 PM
0 Likes
surgey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got video streaming to work, and it plays the audio along with the video!
If you have FFDShow, or the Combined Community Codec Pack (which uses FFDShow anyways) installed on your computer, you will have to disable the Mixer.

I also suspect if you use Ac3filter, you will also have to modify the settings or outright disable it to get MediaManager to work.
I know ac3filter also interfered with Orb.  Not sure why -- I am a software engineer but I am not too knowledable about media codecs and exactly how they work.

Open up the FFDShow Audio Decoder config, and in the left hand column there is a checkbox for Mixer.
Uncheck it.  This doesn't seem to affect orb, or VLC in any way.
I can still stream HD videos with orb, and I can still watch and listen to HD videos with 5.1 audio in VLC.

Now I need to figure out how to get audio streaming working.
After disabling the Mixer in FFDShow, I can get videos to stream, with audio, but not regular MP3 audio files.

Same thing -- progress bar goes, but doesn't play anything.
Same crap in the AudioTranscoder log file...tries to put the .wav output into a directory with two slash marks...

I suspect that issue is not due to a codec problem, but due to the Media Manager installer \ configuration's temporary transcoding directory not being set properly.  Still looking into a way to fix this.

Message Edited by surgey on 07-23-2009 06:21 PM
0 Likes
surgey
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no luck with audio, but I noticed something -- no matter what, when I play a video from media manager, it changes the resolution on my TV to 720x480p and actually downsizes the resolution and bitrate of my movies and videos, even if I set it on "High" quality.  It seems as though I was waiting for MediaManager to support video forever, and it is not what I thought it would be.  Oh well.
The only thing I can do now is try to make my own streaming program that will  work with these motorola boxes.  Hopefully somebody somewhere has an SDK...otherwise, wireshark will have to work overtime, lol.

It's a shame, because if you look at the specs of these motorola boxes, the QIP 7216-1, they are truly beasts hardware wise, yet crippled software wise.

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager No Sound
Recky

Dito on the same problem, photo's-slideshows function but no audio for mp3 music files. I an able to select songs and the progression bar appears and moves as though the song is playing but no audio. (XP, wired network, HDMI from DVR to AVR to Plasma screen).

Video has not been tried-tested.

0 Likes
Media Manager and MP3
jakehale1

So sorry to open yet another thread on the MM.  But most of those thread jump all over the place. 

My MM runs the photo slide show as it suspose to

I dont do the video

my concern is the MP3's

I can not for the life of me get music from my computer to play on the TV.  In the MM list i see all my files for music, i can click them and then on the screen i get a bar showing it playing but no sound come's out.

I dont have anything fancy hooked up, i "believe" i have just a "basic set up".  the files play just fine on my computer

If i can get this fixed IM LEAVING VERIZON and going back to COX....... hahahahahahaha  (Im just kidding) just wanted to put that in there.

Seriously, has anyone had any luck?  I am running Vista Pre Home and the router verizon gave me, i have updated to the most resent version of MM.  its not a deal breaker for me, i like that fact that we are suspose to be able to do it, but my life wont end if it dont. 

But if someone has some suggestions about being able to play the MP3's through my MM then please past it along to me.

thanks folks,,,

Jake

0 Likes
Media Manager Plays Albums out of Order
Funkybrunk
Still can't get Video to work, but that is a different issue. Music always plays in alpha order instead of track order. Anyone else have this issue?
0 Likes
Funkybrunk

Surgey,

Thanks for the input, I'll try some of the things you brought up. I think that the Vista file path issue may be the cause of some of my problems with MM.

I think it would be best if VZ would just release the source code to the public and they could save themselves a lot of time and money. Either that, or make their STB software DLNA compliant. The DLNA approach works great with my PS3, and allows me the freedom to use any of the free software solutions provided by independent coders (the best is a PS3 media server built from scratch in Java).

Message Edited by Funkybrunk on 08-12-2009 09:16 AM
0 Likes