Media Manager Freezing When Playing MP3's
birddream

I've only had my DVR for a few weeks, and I was excited about the streaming function, as I have a large volume of MP3's on my PC.  Unfortunately I've noticed it freezes after two or three songs, and the only way to get it to do anything is to unplug the DVR and plug it back in.  I've looked around and see it happens to other people, and there are a lot of theories, but still not finding any answers.  Two theories I've found are:

1. Maybe it freezes because it can't handle the number of songs I'm wanting it to handle.

2. Some kind of codec problem (they play just fine on my Windows Media Player)

Anybody know what the problem is and what the solution is?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Media Manager Freezing When Playing MP3's
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It may be the songs themselves,  Verizon Media Manager does not support high bit rate audio files for playback on the TV. Please check your audio files to be sure that they do not exceed 192Kbps (kilobits per second).

The suggested audio bit rate is 128 Kbps (kilobits per second) to ensure the best quality of music playback.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Kevin
Contributor - Level 2

Have you tried installing Media Manager on another computer and streaming the songs from there?

How about smaller playlists? See the same problem?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It may be the songs themselves,  Verizon Media Manager does not support high bit rate audio files for playback on the TV. Please check your audio files to be sure that they do not exceed 192Kbps (kilobits per second).

The suggested audio bit rate is 128 Kbps (kilobits per second) to ensure the best quality of music playback.

0 Likes
birddream

I don't have another computer in my home, and if it's not able to play my entire catalog without freezing, it's not a viable application for me.  I wouldn't go through the trouble of making smaller playlists just to make it work. 

0 Likes
birddream

THAT must be the problem.  I try to download songs that are 256 and 320 whenever I can.  Thank you for pointing out what is obviously the problem.  Now the problem is.... out of 1,200 or so songs, probably 700 of them are over 128.  Anybody know an easy way to batch convert 700 songs to a lower bitrate in one fell swoop?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I wasn't familiar with a program myself, but i did a quick google, and it looks like CDex is gonna be your option .

CDex is a freeware CD ripper but it also has an option to re-encode compressed audio files.

Click "Convert" then "Re-encode Compressed Audio Files".

You'll have to change some settings first like the output bitrate. You'll find this in the "Options / Settings / Encoder" area. You can also select the output directory in the "Filenames" tab.

0 Likes