Media Manager On The Mac - OSX
BlueHen
Enthusiast - Level 1
Anyone have an idea when this will be available?
0 Likes
Re: Media Manager On The Mac - OSX
lmt413

I hope soon. When discussing with the Verizon rep at the FIOS kiosk about getting FIOS TV, they said the media manager worked with the Mac. It wasn't until it was installed and the installer left that I tried to connect and lo and behold, it couldn't see my Mac system because I didn't have their PC MEDIA MANAGER SOFTWARE INSTALLED ON MY MAC!!!  I sent an email to Verizon a week ago but I haven't received any response. I feel I was given the the answer I wanted to hear so I would purchase the service and I doubt I'll get any satisfaction when I talk to them sometime this week. I hope someone at Verizon reads this posting and realizes that there is more to the computer market than just PCs. One of the strengths of the Mac is the music and photo capabilities so let's take advantage of this strength and allow us to display it on the TV screen.

PLEASE Verizon, develop a solution for the "rest of us".  Thank you for your support - LMT 

0 Likes
ipnet
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yes - Apple now commands 10% of all new computer sales out there.  Thats a big chunk of the market they are missing.  And on a Mac, its all so easy.  Come on Verizon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
0 Likes
Shabbis
Enthusiast - Level 2
I also agree. With the popularity of the iPhone and iPods, Macs are starting to become more popular as well thru the halo effect. There are over 25 million OS X users now. How could you ignore a possible 25 million user market segment (I know not everyone with a Mac will have FIOS, although I am switching to FIOS as I type this, installer is doing the work right now).
0 Likes
scottn57

I hope Mac support is coming as well.  I could always futz around an get Windows running via Virtual Box, figure out how to share my media folders on the mac, and get the windows version to push it, but why?  

This is a very important issue to me as well.... 

0 Likes
klb
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have virtual windows - VM ware and while I can download and open media manager, I cannot get the STB to recognize it.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the firewall settings but I haven't been able to figure it out so I gave up.  If anyone knows something, please post it.
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

But why?  Media Manager is a poorly written application that has very little support.  They *finally* released a patch after months, but still no video support.  It doesn't run very well on a PC and, in my experience, often loses its connection with the DVR.  Can't tell you how many times I tried to pull up pictures on the DVR and it failed to connect, often resulting in me being somewhat embarrassed and having to reset either the router, the DVR, or the application to finally get it to work while my family/friends just wait around.

You would be 1000x better off just getting an AppleTV.  I have one now and it's so much easier to use.  The slideshow/screensaver features are really really nice.   Music:  awesome.  Videos:  awesome (although it's limited to mp4/m4v formats).  I now have over 200 movies converted and stored on my Mac ready to be viewed any time.  Youtube:  awesome.

A PS3 or Xbox360 is equally awesome in its abilities to stream pics, movies, music, etc.

0 Likes