Media Manager Retirement
Wisehands
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just learned that Verizon is "retiring" Media Manager.  I use Media Manager almost every day to stream music from my PC to my home theater setup.  How will I be able to stream content from my PC thru my STB after Media Manager is "retired?" 

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Retirement
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Wisehands wrote:

... How will I be able to stream content from my PC thru my STB after Media Manager is "retired?" 

Depending on your version, MS Windows Media Player has this capability.  Also there are a number of free stand-alone applications available online.  Search Google for "DLNA" to get started.

PJL
Master - Level 3

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@Wisehands wrote:

... How will I be able to stream content from my PC thru my STB after Media Manager is "retired?" 

Depending on your version, MS Windows Media Player has this capability.  Also there are a number of free stand-alone applications available online.  Search Google for "DLNA" to get started.

I'm not sure how you can do this with the Verizon STB.  It does not natively act as a DLNA client.  So Armond, if you could explain that would he helpful.

I use my smart Sony Bluray player to stream from my PC using Windows Media Player as the DLNA server.  And rather than using the Bluray player's combersome interface to control what's playing, I use a DLNA app on my tablet that works great.

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@PJL wrote:
... I'm not sure how you can do this with the Verizon STB.  It does not natively act as a DLNA client.  So Armond, if you could explain that would he helpful ...

I'd have to be something of a magician to "explain" an impossibility.  I was of course referring to the OP's original issue on how to stream from his/her PC to other network connected devices.
I will pay close attention to my usage in the future.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@PJL wrote:
... I'm not sure how you can do this with the Verizon STB.  It does not natively act as a DLNA client.  So Armond, if you could explain that would he helpful ...

I'd have to be something of a magician to "explain" an impossibility.  I was of course referring to the OP's original issue on how to stream from his/her PC to other network connected devices.
I will pay close attention to my usage in the future.

Thank's for the clarification.  I had hopes that there actually was a way to do this with the STB.  

I had read the OP's statement "How will I be able to stream content from my PC thru my STB after Media Manager is "retired." to mean the STB, not other network connected devices.

0 Likes
Wisehands
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks armond, PJL for responding.  First, I finally found out from Verizon that a new version of media manager (they didn't mention what this will be named) is supposed to be released by the end of the year.  Although it will not be supported after 11/1, the Verizon agent I spoke with assured me the current version of MM being "retired" will still work (at whatever level of functionality it gives you on your system) if you have it installed already.  My impression is that MM had so many problems that Verizon decided to develop new streaming software rather than just update and bug fix MM.  Why Verizon is leaving a 6-8 week gap between retiring MM and releasing a replacement Verizon's agent didn't explain, also didn't explain why Verizon didn't tell its customers about new streaming software at the same time the retirement of MM was announced.

BTW, I was referring to streaming via the STB.  My TV (Samsung) and Bluray player (Sony) have DLNA capability, but believe it or not I had less luck streaming from a PC with those than Verizon's doomed MM. 

0 Likes
Wisehands
Enthusiast - Level 2

@armond_in_nj wrote:
....Also there are a number of free stand-alone applications available online.

Any recommendations for any particular stand-alone apps?

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Wisehands wrote:

@armond_in_nj wrote:
....Also there are a number of free stand-alone applications available online.

Any recommendations for any particular stand-alone apps?

Look here for a quick overview:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2020825/how-to-get-started-with-dlna.html

I've  heard good things about "Plex."

0 Likes