Re: Media Manager Video Playback Issues
beerhead500

To whom it may concern at Verizon:

Worst Product Ever

0 Likes
Alllan

any time i try to stream videos, they lag terribly and usually stop playing halfway through or so. the videos are AVI encoded with either DivX or XviD (both are supported by the media manager). also, the quality of the videos look worse than VHS when they're streamed. i've spoken with 2 techs, both of which provided little to no information on this, with the exception of telling me to reset my router which didn't help at all. what can i do to fix this?

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager video playback issues
kevin66261

Hello,

I will try the suggestion but perhaps I have  a different problem. I have uploaded digital photograps from my Samsung camcorder successfully but when I try to upload video from the same camera I get a message that I may not be able to view because the video format may not be supported. What do I need to do here?

0 Likes
lousir

Amazingly the media play back still sucks.  Keep up the good work.

0 Likes
thalassicus

One reason we are having playback issues with videos is because Verizon isn't telling us enough about what media is supported. I am new to media manager, but pretty experienced with media. On this page:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Guide/Enhanced+TV/QuestionsOne/124966.htm

there is no mention of what resolutions or bitrates can be handled by the software.

There are three major factors that affect playback. 1) Video Format, 2) Resolution, and 3) Bitrate

If the resolution or bitrate are too high, you'll get poor quality or no playback at all (even if you are using a supported video format like mp4).

My first experience with media manager went like this:

I took a bluray rip of a movie and encoded it into an MP4 file at 1920x1080 resolution (what we call 1080p) with a Variable Bit Rate average of 4000k.

Media Manager said it did not support the file.

I then re-encoded the same raw rip to an MP4 file at 1280x720 (720p) and a VBR of 2000k. The file looked fine in Media Manager, but when I streamed it to my livingroom plasma tv, it looked worse than an old VHS tape.

I'm hoping that this is just a software issues and that Verizon puts some real coding effort into getting Media Manager up to the High Definition standard of the rest of their services. I have a ticket in with tech support on this very issue and will post what I find.

0 Likes
Photo aspect ratio in Media Manager
stan2532

I posted this on the "MEDIA MANGER ISSUES" thread and have gotten no response, so will try here.

When displaying my PC pix on my TV, either the DVR or Media Manager is stretching my 4:3 and 6:4 photos to fill my 16:9 screen. If I crop the photo to 16:9, then the picture shrinks slightly in the vertical. Is there a setting somewhere to make the system retain aspect ratio? I would like to see my photos as large as possible with no distortion; my DVD player  (showing .jpg from USB) can handle this issue with no problem.

0 Likes
Re: Photo aspect ratio in Media Manager
chalewa4bambu
Enthusiast - Level 3

i think i post about this product more than anything else, but man is it just bad. glad to see that other users experience the same issues. i do think that its funny that they tout this as a 'feature'.

0 Likes
dbjfitz
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a quad core computer. I get 25/25mps both down and up on speed tests. This computer is hardwired to the router.

When I was with DirecTV I used Tversity to flawlessly stream videos from my computer to my DVR and from there to my HDTV. I was a very happy person. Now I have FIOS and I tried the same setup. First off, Media Manager doesn't support as many video types as Tversity did. Next, the video quality is crap. Huge swatches of patches in multicolors dancing here and there sporadically. Constant hiccuping of both video and sound. About 4 to 7 times a minute. As the recording gets to about the 7 minute mark the audio is noticably playing faster than the video is. By the time it is at the 35 min mark the audio is about 3 to 4 seconds off of the video sync and the hiccuping is now about 25 times a minute. Yes, like every 2 to 3 seconds! But you try and bare with it to just get to through the last 5 minutes.

I guess I am back to burning videos to DVD's where I can watch them on my DVD player flawlessly in HD, have the sound sync up and have the ability to fast forward and reverse without it crapping out.

0 Likes
gdstuart

Dependency Checker Wizard is not an item on Help in MM 9.3.37.  Is there some other way to trouble-shoot choppy video?  This is one of the main reasons I switched from Comcast and so far it's not tolerable so we have to watch movies on the tiny screen in my office.  I am very dissatisfied.

Thanks,

Geoff Stuart

0 Likes
Media manager video
chuckhamburger

Has anyone been able to stream video files from their computer to their tv without it looking horrible? I have been fooling around with some movie files and .avi look terrible with big blotches of solid color. Trying right now to convert to a mpeg to see if they are recognized by the software. Has anyone fooled around with this and actually got it to play a movie file that you can watch on a big screen?

0 Likes