Re: Media Manager - "Cannot Play Video at this time" + "Debug Assertion Failed!"
pinflyers

Hi, same issue here. I am also on Windows 7. This exact problem happened a month ago. Tech service was no help. Found a forum somewhere on the web and it stated to just reinstall the media manager. It worked like a charm then.  Used it for a month with no major problems. Now the dreaded "Cannot play video at this time" is on every video.

There seems to be a new version of media manager that was updated to my computer. I will try the older version if possible and see if there is a fix. 

Also I would like to know how to get the best video quality when doing this. Some videos are unwatchable when shown on a 42" HD TV.  

Keep this thread going as we are pretty much on our own as Tech guys at Verizon will just go through the normal troubleshooting basics. This is a unique problem that only some are having.

0 Likes
This software was obviously not QA tested prior to release...
Encrypted1

Why bother releasing an obviously flawed piece of software and cause yourself endless technical support calls? Makes no sense what-so-ever. It streams. Then it doesn't. Streams a portion of the file. Then it doesn't. And no support other than "reinstall"... Pathetic.

The concept is a great one. Too bad Verizon doesn't have a clue what it's doing in terms of software development.

I'll continue to use my Boxee Box and patiently wait for GoogleTV. Keep it up Verizon... Soon I'll be able to use my phone provider as my ISP... and I don't mean you!!

0 Likes
Re: This software was obviously not QA tested prior to release...
moe7

It's been over a year, and this product still stinks.  I am reading the same problems from over a year ago.  VERIZON VERIZON WAKE UP AND FIX THESE ISSUES!!!!!! How come the XBOX, MacMini, and PSP can do the same things way better, you guys still can't get this right? 

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Video Playback Issues
gigi44

This has been an ongoing problem, which only gets more frustrating when you make a call to Verizon, their reply is always the same, it must be in your connection or cable, we can send a tech, but we must advise you there could be a charge.  But I can never get a simple answer as to why sometimes it works and then it doesn't.  The "techs" on the phone assure me, that NO ONE else has reported this problem, therefore it must be with our cable.  If anyone gets an adequate answer, or if Verizon figures out what the problem is, PLEASE post it!!

0 Likes
Encrypted1

Here are my "observations" on getting the software to "function" and achieve better video resolution results.

* The software is seriously flawed. Understand this. The flaws are not OS specific. I have tried installation on all the supported OS'es with not discernible improvements. For reference: Windows 7 (fully patched), Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83 GHz, 4GB RAM DDR3...

Other OS'es were direct hardware installed, (not virtual) although I did initially try that too. 

Install software. Run video component check tool. Scan folder location of videos.

I generally only use videos that are 1024 * 768 resolution or higher; avi, wma, divx etc...

Videos play. I will admit that my videos playback (considering compression codec) are pretty crisp. The video source  will always make the biggest impact on image quality. Also running 120Hz refresh, which makes a big impact as well.

When videos cease playing, I initially stop playback, restart playback, FF to freeze point in video and resume playback.

When  "freezing" begins to occurs more frequently (shorter intervals during playback), I simply uninstall completely and reinstall.

It's insane, but it will usually allow you to view at least one video file in it's entirety (multiple videos if they are contained in the same folder location and you allow "auto playback" of videos in sequence) for that viewing session.

That's basically it.

When re-installing the software after freezing issues, I run the VBscript.dll command:

Start->Run, type the command: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\VBScript.dll

then uninstall and re-install.

The software will usually work for a day or a few videos before the freezing issues begin to occur... which requires re-installation. Insane.

There are alternatives : Direct cable to the TV: PC mode (cheap and very effective choice if your set supports it; input determines quality), or go the Boxee, XMBC, or XBox/Windows Media routes. There are other hardware solutions (Zino HD for example), but I'm content to wait for GoogleTV specs before any major purchases.

On a side note... Why hasn't Verizon created a filter for adult content material for On Demand searches?. I shouldn't be subjected to Toy "Sexcapades" when I'm searching for "Toy Story 2" whether my kid reads or not... Seems software development is a weak spot at Verizon...

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

For your OnDemand Adult Titles comment ...

Turn on parental controls and then select "Hide Adult Titles" under that menu. 

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2

I have given up on Media Manager, it's one of the buggiest programs I've seen in years.  I am constantly having to uninstall and reinstall it.  My bedroom PC has a VGA cable going to my TV, so I don't need it there anymore.  I'm thinking of getting a new DVD/Bluray player that can watch internet videos as an alternative. 

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Video Playback Issues Windows 7
zachern

I have installed media manager on a Windows 7 machine with 4 GB RAm.   I can view pictures and music from my TV but when I try to view videos they display graphic squares all over and the audio is extremely choppy.   If I open the file on the PC in Media manager and try to play it there the file plays fine.  The PC is directly connected to the router.  I also checked that the firewall settings were correct for Media Manager.   I also tested this with the firewall shut off and it made no difference.

0 Likes
dom89

I keep getting an error that says Media manager cannot play this video in full. Please try playing another video. Why is it that media manager cannot continue playing the file if it already started playing the file? I have tried other video files and they all play in its entirety. I have also tried it on more than one set top box and still get the same error

0 Likes
dom89

is there a way to change the aspect ration in which videos play? right now all videos are being converted to 4:3. anyway it can be forced to be played in 16:9 or play in the aspect ratio the video is in?

0 Likes