Re: Media Manager Video Playback Issues
AS-in-US

O.K.
Here is the V. Media Player issue then. The quality of videos transfered from my PC to my TV is horrible.
The videos look o.k. when played with the VMP on my PC. I am running XP SP3 with all the necessary codecs.
When I use my DVR to access my PC ( and that access all works fine) and play the videos it seems that either the VMP transfers them with a lower quality (even if "high" is chosen in the VMP settings) or the DVR reduces the quality when receiving them.

My PC has enough memory, a fast enough processor and the latest Windows XP SP3 updates.

The PC is direcly wired into an ethernet port on the Verizon modem and the modem and my DVR hang via coax directly on the splitter, which is supplied from the fiber optic converter box.
Looks like either there is some filtering going on or the VMP to DVR interaction is just not state of the art technology.

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager video playback issues
xyvyx2

I found another more recent post discussing the same thing, but when I attempt to login/reply to the topic, it redirects me back to the Verizon homepage & I can't get my session or userid to apply there.

http://businessforums.verizon.net/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/ideas/article-id/392/comment-id/426

Anyway, my only addition is that I just launched Media Manager the other day (had installed it a long time ago and found it to be worthless) and the picture quality, as-of April 9th 2011 is STILL HORRIBLE!

It appears to be recompressing everything.... I've got gigabit ethernet everywhere in the house, at least until the VZ router, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue.  

As far as functionality, I had no problems getting it to work... the UI still feels about 10-years old (doesn't handle longer file names, etc... )

0 Likes
We encountered an error - videos won't play
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

I just upgraded from an SD box to a 7100 P2 today. Trying to use Media Manager to display video from my PC and I am getting "We encountered an error. Please visit your computer and click on Media Manager Help menu. Select Video Component Check and follow the instructions to resume video playback on TV screen". When I do that, something runs and seems to install some files, but the window goes away without giving me any instructions. What's strange is, I was able to play a video the first time I tried it with the sample Tokyo Harbor video, then I loaded some of my own videos, now I can't play anything, including the sample file.

I am running Windows 7 Professional x64, if that makes any difference.

I've been trying to load some pictures for it to play and even though I point the program at folders with images, it doesn't seem to like them. But that's another problem.

BTW I also cannot play Youtube videos -- I get "error in playing video". Internet radio stations work.

Also (separate problem) no matter what type of music I try to get loaded in the library, it tells me it's not a supported format.

0 Likes
Re: We encountered an error - videos won't play
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

So I discovered the problem.. It needs to run as administrator. If I "Run as Administrator", it works fine.

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager video playback issues
secutanudu

Same problem. Everything functions, but the video quality is horrific.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Video Playback Issues Wont play full screen
JerryCic
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi

I like the concept of media manager but the Verizon implimentation is lacking.

I have FIOS media manager and Sony PS3. I have a PC that is the home for my video collection.

When compared to each other:

1. PS3 will play more video formats, including many avi's that FIOS wont see.

2. PS3 will play 720 and 1080 videos at full screen on my HD wide screen TV, Fios plays them with a border around them. Why is this? Is there a setting somewhere that controls this? Pleas don't state the obvios as i have experimented with all the settings in the Media manager software. I believe the problem is with the player in the DVR box. Including the auto scale and default/High quality switch.

3. The PS3 Quality is much much better than Media Manager. Same network same source PC, the only difference is the playback unit.

4. The PS3 recovers from the rare blip in the buffer connection. Fios just dies.

I also have an Xbox 360 and its quality is superior as well.

I can stream  excelent quality videos from Netflix accross the internet, Why can't I scream similar quality video from my own Intranet.

If any one knows of these problems and has any solutions, I would be happy to hear from you. I have 5 Fios boxes in my home. I only have one S3 and one xbox 360.

It would be nice if i could stream great quality video to any on my Fios Boxes. It would also be nice to be able to scream tomore than one at a time as well.

Are there any upgrades in the near future that will improve on these issues?

Maybe fios just needs to be able to play 'FILES" from "Shared drives" on the box instead of going the stream route.

Thank you

Jerry Cic

0 Likes
koolkatt

I am a new subscriber to Verizon's Fios TV. I was looking forward to playing supported video files from my PC through my DVR to my TV using Media Manager. Now I sit here broken hearted. Not only is the video quality horrible, but it won't allow me to "fast forward" no matter what kind of supported video file I use. The video does play (although horribly pixilated) and the pause functions normally, but when I try to use the "fast forward" function, the video freezes up (although the progress indicator still counts up as if the video is still playing) When this happens I have to start the video from the beginning and view what I've already seen. A serious flaw which in my opinion should not be passed off as a "known issue" according the fios tech department. If anyone has some thoughts on this, I would appreciate hearing from you.

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Video Playback Issues Wont play full screen
Goshtic

Indeed, the concept of media manager out of the box support is awesome, but the actual implimentation is not all that practical for usage. The quality is just terrible.

This might have to due with the Set Top Box's hardware limitations and that it may not be powerful enough like the PS3 to output high quality video streaming, other than standard defintion.

What I want to know is the exact video resolution, bitrate, and audio the Set Top Box supports. That way, we can transcode our own video to as optimal quality setting that the Set Top Box supports without it doing on-the-fly conversion. As the compression it does on the fly is what kills the video picture quality.

0 Likes
koolkatt

Robot Mad  Just to let everyone know, I've gone 10 rounds and have been to New Delhi with Verizon. I am sorry to say that there is no resolve in sight with Media Manager Playback issues. What's puzzling is that I can't get anyone to say that they've used the program with even marginal success. I've talked to representatives who have been polite but state that there is currently no "lab" set up to test these issues. Perhaps one of them said it best when they made reference to "Media Manager" as a "free program" Wow, what a disappointment. Some executive should be red faced.

0 Likes
tomdaug

To Koolkatt, I'll be the one person with success for you.

For  what it's worth, I've had pretty good sucess streaming video to my 6416 using Windows XP x64. With the bitrate set to High, the video was clear and and I could fast forward (jump 1/10th of the length) and rewind .mpgs and .avis, but the avi's will lock up every so often.  The codecs that worked best were XVID with MP3 audio, and mpeg4s.  As stated by others, not the quality of my Xbox, but acceptable.  Now that being said.  I Installed Windows 7 Pro 64 on a dual boot and The streaming quality is TERRIBLE!!!!! It's completely pixelated and locks up on every video.  i couldn't begin to tell you what the difference in implementation between operating systems is (and I bet hardly anyone at VZ could either).  But I believe it's a Windows Vista/7 problem.  As for the fix I don't know.  I'm going to try to uninstall and reinstall Media Manager but I'm doubtful.

Just thought I'd let you know my experience with it.

0 Likes