Media Manager on multiple DVRs
BillA
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can't find this issue discussed elsewhere; apologies if I missed it.

The configuration is 2 DVRs (6416) and 2 STBs (2500s) and a NB with Actiontec Router.

Bigger problem is Media Manager and content only appear on one DVR.  Other DVR reports "subscription problem".  After long troubleshooting Verizon rep claims Media Manager can only be downloaded to one DVR and can't be used on 2nd.  However, complete reset of 2nd DVR enables 90-day trial of MM.  So trial runs fine but system can't be set up to run normally.  Weird!!!  Moreover, they claim there is no way to delete MM from one to enable it on the other.  (Wondering if I can physically swap the DVRs, but that's a big deal with my built-in setup.)

Similar(?) problem is that content of only 1 of the DVRs is accessible to the STBs.  The other is "local only".

Has anyone raised these issues?  Are there solutions?  Does Verizon plan to address?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Media Manager on multiple DVRs
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The media manager issue is due to the multi room issue. Media manager will only talk to a multi room box. Since you only have one hub then media manager will only work on that one dvr.

When and if they ever get the ability to have dvr's talk to dvr's or have the ability to have multiple multi room dvr's in one house, then media manager will work on multiple dvr's

But for right now. media manager will only work on the one dvr.

The trial that is working on the second dvr is a glitch. Enjoy it while you can but it "shouldnt" be working even on a trial basis.

As for switching DVR's. That CAN be done. but only if we switch which dvr is the HUB. Tech support can easily change which DVR is the MRDVR. That switch will allow the other dvr to use the media manager, but the first one would LOOSE the ability. Plus it changes which dvr the standard boxes talk too for viewing recordings.
Message Edited by spacedebrismark on 06-24-2009 03:33 PM

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

After reading what I posted, I figured I better make it more clear

The Multi-room DVR system allows for you to record on one dvr (the hub) and then be able to view those recording on other NON-DVR's throughout the house. However, a DVR cannot talk to another DVR. So in your case you have...

1 MRDVR (hub) that will talk to your 2 2500's and

1 stand alone DVR that will not talk to anything

Media manager only works with a MRDVR (hub) but not to stand alone DVR

There are rumors (and that is all they are at the moment) that Verizon may consider updating the software on the MRDVR to be able to talk to other DVR's but at this time its a no go.

Message Edited by spacedebrismark on 06-24-2009 10:58 AM
Message Edited by spacedebrismark on 06-24-2009 11:00 AM
BillA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spacedebrismark,

Thanks for the confirmation.  I'll wait to see what happens with that one.

Since you seem to know what's up, do you know anything about this download of Media Manager to multiple DVRs problem?

Thanks again.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The media manager issue is due to the multi room issue. Media manager will only talk to a multi room box. Since you only have one hub then media manager will only work on that one dvr.

When and if they ever get the ability to have dvr's talk to dvr's or have the ability to have multiple multi room dvr's in one house, then media manager will work on multiple dvr's

But for right now. media manager will only work on the one dvr.

The trial that is working on the second dvr is a glitch. Enjoy it while you can but it "shouldnt" be working even on a trial basis.

As for switching DVR's. That CAN be done. but only if we switch which dvr is the HUB. Tech support can easily change which DVR is the MRDVR. That switch will allow the other dvr to use the media manager, but the first one would LOOSE the ability. Plus it changes which dvr the standard boxes talk too for viewing recordings.
Message Edited by spacedebrismark on 06-24-2009 03:33 PM
BillA
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks.  That's actually a big help.  I'll get them to switch the hub.  Owe ya'Bill
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
if you haven't got that done tonight I can do it for you just let me know
Message Edited by Techman28 on 06-24-2009 11:13 PM
BillA
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Techman28,

I haven't succeededyet in getting through by phone all busy), and the chat system is shut down for some reason.  If you can swap the hubs (and Media Manager function) I'd appreciate it.  What info do you need?  Thanks for the interest and offer.

Bill

0 Likes