Media Manager
drooplug
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just had Fios installed a couple days ago.  I have the Home Media player on one TV and a regular HD STB on the other.  I noticed that I cannot access the Media manager on my regular STB.  What is the deal with that?  It makes no sense.  I can watch recorded programs from the Home Media Player but not access the Media Manager on the network.  It doesn't make much sense to get multiple Home Media players just to access pictures on music on all of my TV's. 

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Thats because media manager only works with the HMDVR. The HD STB does not have the memory to run that program. The program uses part of the hard drive on the DVR in order to run.

also you cant get multiple HMDVR in the house. Only one DVR can be a home media hub in the house. At this time, the Home media service only works between 1 DVR and other non DVR boxes in the house. multiple DVR's cannot communicate together at this time so that would not work for you either. Right now the Home Media service only works with ONE tv in the house, the other STB's in the house can only view recorded programs from that one DVR. 

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-12-2009 07:55 AM
Techman28
Master - Level 1
This is correct info Ty spacedebris
0 Likes
raylock

>>Right now the Home Media service only works with ONE tv in the house, the other STB's in the house can only view recorded programs from that one DVR.<<

Does the "right now" language suggest that this may change and that the Media service may work with more TV's in the futue and/or that you may be able to record from other set top boxes at some point in the future?

<

Message Edited by raylock on 07-14-2009 07:13 PM
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Mostly its just rumors, but there is talk that the Multi Room feature will eventually be able to talk to other DVR's as well.  When it first came out it was only standard def systems that worked with it. Meaning just the DVR and the SD STB's could utilize the system. the HD STB's couldnt. Then about a year ago, the MR feature was modified to allow the HD STB's to access recorded programming, including the HD recordings. The talk is that the next MR upgrade will allow for Multiple "Hub" boxes. So that if you have more than one DVR, you can select recordings to watch remotely from any of your DVR's. And then the rumors say that after that, the media manager program will be able to be used on any DVR in the system. Then if this line of rumors continues to its eventual logical outcome, at some point it will work on any STB in the house.

But you know how rumors go....This may be all wishful thinking. But like with any rumor, it sounds feasible

0 Likes
raylock
Thanks for the rumor update.  I just came from Dish and am really disappointed by the lost DVR functionality.  Nevertheless, the picture is excellent and I don't have to pay to have the trees trimmed every year.  Pluses and minuses.  Overall, I am happy with the switch.
0 Likes