Media manager between two subnets
tklad0

Hoping some can help. My home network is on a DLink N+ router with a 192.168.0.x subnet. The DLink router is connect to my FIOS router which is on the 192.168.1.x subnet. All of my cables boxes are connected to the FIOS router all of my home PC's,laptops, gaming systems etc connect to the DLink. The DLink's internet gateway is the FIOS router and they are connected via ethernet. By default Media Manager is looking for devices on the 192.168.1.x but the Media Manager host machine is on the 192.168.0.x. So with my current setup I can not use media manager.

I could change the DLink over to the 192.168.1.x subnet but then I will have to disable DHCP on the DLink and basically turn a sofisticated Dual Band N+ router into an access point. I don't want to do this. Is there a method where I could do some port forwarding to make Media Manager work between the two subents. Please help!

I hear of lots of people using their own router in lieu of the FIOS supplied Motorola router. If FIOS would just start supplying N routers I wouldn't need two! I hope I can keep my current network setup and still be able to use media manager. After all it would be a lot nicer to stream video over the N band than over G. I think the biggest weakness with Media Manager is being stuck on G if it winds up I can't use it with my N router.

Thanks for your help

0 Likes
Re: Media manager between two subnets
PJL
Master - Level 3

Can you install a second NIC in the PC that's running Media Manager and connect it to the STB segment?  That way it will see both networks and communicate to the STBs.  You should be able configure a second NIC to do this. 

If there's another solution, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

0 Likes
TacoOnTheWeb

Don't know if you found another solution or not, but I just started up VMM, running into the same problem with my two subnets.  Works fine if I put my computer on the Vz subnet, but that's not what I want to do.  I've disabled Vz's wireless because of its lack of n capability.

It's occurred to me, I could turn the wireless on, and then when I want the media manager services, use my wireless to access the Vz subnet.

0 Likes
thegeek
Enthusiast - Level 3

"Is there a method where I could do some port forwarding to make Media Manager work between the two subents."

No

"Please help!I hear of lots of people using their own router in lieu of the FIOS supplied Motorola router."

You would need a NIM/Bridge setup to connect your coax lan (set top boxes) to your Wan. Are you using coax Wan from the AT router? The AT has a built in NIM thats one reason Verizon uses it.

0 Likes