Menu pop-up
ridera

About every day or so, we get a screen which says "menu" must be selected.

What's causing this? How do I fix it.?

0 Likes
Re: Menu pop-up
marc3565
Enthusiast - Level 3

After an update or reboot of the STB I get a message that the STB is in standby and I must press MENU to watch TV.

Is that what you get?

If you are getting that everyday then the next question is.. Are you turning the power off to the STB or unplugging it. At my previous location the wall switch worked a plug next to my TV. It was meant for a lamp but if my STB was plugged into it I might have had your issue.

0 Likes
Re: Menu pop-up
Justin46
Legend

@ridera wrote:

About every day or so, we get a screen which says "menu" must be selected.

What's causing this? How do I fix it.?

That is just a warning message (a "screen saver") that Verizon put in to let you know that you have turned off the STB but not the TV (when you turn off the STB it really is not powered down, most of the electronics are still powered on) . Some people like this, it reminds them to also turn off the TV, others hate it, and some have even complained of "burn-in" on their TV.

The usual reason people see this message is they have their remote configured to turn the TV and the STB on and off with one push of the Power button, and sometimes it only powers down the STB, thus the message appears. If you want you can re-configure your remote to power them down separately; there really is no value in powering down the STB since the electrical savings is almost nil and it is probably really less wear and tear on the STB to just leave it on. IMHO of course....

The new 1.7 version of the STB software includes a setting where you can disable this "screen saver" option. Depending on where you live you may or may not already have this level.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes