Re: Missing the end of DVR shows
kenkimg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info, but was already aware of these workarounds.  Unfortunately these are rather clumsy to set up, must be repeated for each non-series show, and have restrictions as stated in a previous post (shown below):

========================================

"As a totally unsatisfactory workaround, I add one minute to the scheduled recording time of shows, which involves repetitious keystrokes on the remote that has to be done for EACH show.  Sometimes the DVR does not permit an extension due to back-to-back recordings on the same station, or two new recordings scheduled at the end of the show. The viewer is then forced to try and find a different time slot for that show. To get around the back-to-back limitation, an even more tedious procedure to set up a manual recording is required."

======================================== 

Series recordings aren't quite as bad, but are still restricted. As explained above, adding minutes is only allowed under certain conditions.  Besides, the bulk of viewer recordings are one-time events, not series. But the following suggestions would always work with minimum fuss:

We need an update to the DVR firmware that provides an overlag of recording time of approximately 90 seconds for each scheduled recording selected from the Guide.  This is similar to the DirecTV HDDVRs, which even seem to be able to handle back-to-back recordings on same station. An alternative would be to add a feature that lets the user do a one-time modification of  the clock time of the DVR ahead or behind by up to 120 or so seconds, which would fix Verizon repeat timing errors.

kenkimg1
Enthusiast - Level 2

By the way, just discovered the "Manual Recording" feature even has a limitation--6 hours. That causes headaches for recording marathons, for example "Twilight Zone Marathons" on SyFi typically shown in holiday seasons,  Come now, Verizon, is this limitation really necessary??

0 Likes
dave_langer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Fios needs to add clipping or let us start a show late.   Its stupid you can start a recording early but not late. 

0 Likes
shymedq1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yep I have the same problem with me.

0 Likes
PGNYC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I padded the shows in the series settings but they don't pad they go off in   an hour instead of 1:15. I have the problems sunday with football running long on CBS and keep losing the mentalist. How can I make sure the series padding works.

0 Likes
jackstraw532

Part of the problem is the networks themselves. HBO will often start a show like Boardwalk Empire a minute or two after promos and that particular episode might be 59 minutes where most of the episodes are 56-57 minutes. Discovery, NGC and History Channel are the worse. Their shows always go over by 30 seconds to a minute. Not much you can do but pad recordings. By the way NBC, CBS and ABC are very diabolical. They run some of their shows 61 minutes. Your DVR will record the whole 61 minutes but what they are trying to do is prevent you from DVRing two shows on different channels at top off the next hour. 

0 Likes
Bionic
Enthusiast - Level 3

18 months later and this si still a chronic issue.  I understand if a live event runs long and bumps the entire broadcast schedule.  that's not the issue here.  I regularly miss 5-10sec or more of shows on many different channels.  I'd much rather miss the first 5-10sec instead of the last sentence of an episode but really, we shouldn't have to be missing anything.

Re: Missing the end of DVR shows, despite setting recording to end 30 minutes after the show ends
Nadz1

I know how to set the DVR to  end the recording 30 minutes after the show ends. However, despite setting DVR stop time this way, the recording stops at the scheduled end time of the show.  Some shows start late; if the extra minutes of recording is not done, I miss the end of the show.  I have double checked my dvr manager to make sure it set for recording longer than the scheduled show end time. I have called Verizon and explained the situation and they said they would send some sort of a signal to my set top box,which they either did not do or it did not work.  It is not a solution to just record both the show I want and the immediately following show,  because a little something gets clipped off between the two recordings ---

I switched to Verizon from Cablevision and did not have this issue.  If  Verizon cannot fix this I will switch back to Cablevision when my contract with Verizon is up -- Cablevision has a far better website for managing DVR, TV etc -- much easier to navigate; Cablevision also has excellent support that makes live, knowledgeable help available quickly. Terribly frustrated.

0 Likes
Re: Missing the end of DVR shows, despite setting recording to end 30 minutes after the show ends
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What model DVR do you have?

Depending on how many tuners you have, it could be getting cut off because of priority.

I have Quantum with 6 tuners.

I routinely set my programs to record for an extra minute and never miss the end of my shows.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes