Moca speeds & rg-59
ineedausername

Hi everyone, we recently got our fios service installed and i've finally got everything setup the way i'd like. Unfortunately the house is 29 years old and the majority of the wiring between nodes are long runs of rg-59. I'm afraid that the old coax is the reason i'm getting such low moca speeds:

heres the basic wiring diagram of the house:

I'm not sure why there is a such a difference in the up/down speed per node (1-3).

I've changed out all the coax ends with new compression fittings, as shown in the diagram i've replaced all the splitters with verizon's moca 2.0 splitters.

Is there anything you guys can think of (short of ripping out all the rg-59) that might bring all the nodes up to 200ish Mbps?

0 Likes
Re: Moca speeds & rg-59
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your diagram doesn't say where each device is located.  The router should be as close as possible to the root of the coax network to reduce the number of splitters between it and the nodes in both the upstream and downstream directions.

Are you using all the coax drops?  If not, you may be able to eliminate some of the splitters by de-activating outlets.

If you decide that the RG-59 is the issue, consider pulling CAT-5e or CAT-6 for the data nodes instead of replacing the coax.  You'll get 1Gbps which will be a vast improvement over MoCA.

Good Luck.

ineedausername

Thanks for such a prompt reply!!

The locations of the node are under the corosponding drops. I tried moving the router to the study which is shortest coax run along with BR1 but it does not seem to make a huge difference in speed, if anything the dvr's speed came down to 200, the other devices ranged from 130-180. all the drops are terminated at the wall plates using a 75ohm 25db rl terminator, i need to leave them connected to the splitters because we move the stb around. I wish i could run some cat and rg11, but it would be cost prohibitve on an house this old and large.

What i really don't understand is why device 3, which is phyically right next to the dvr is having such a big speed hit.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ineedausername wrote:
... all the drops are terminated at the wall plates using a 75ohm 25db rl terminator ...

MoCA modulation is different than TV channels.  It's designed to go forward and backward through splitters.  You might want to try removing some or all of the terminators and see what that does.

If that fails, go back to trying to minimize the number of splits on the paths between the router and WiFi extenders.  Remember that a 4-way splitter is really three 2-way splitters; each signal goes through two splits between input and output.

If all this doesn't help, you might want to look into pulling cable just for the connection between the router and the extenders.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you checked the connectors on the cable? If cabling is old, then they could have come loose. Could also be a problem with the local splitter. You can pick them up pretty cheap at most big box hardware stores. Just make sure you get one that says 1GHZ.

0 Likes