Mode Not Supoorted
mecombs

I own a Samsung TV and for the last 10 months I have been having this issue.  I have the Home Media DVR hookup up using HDMI cable.  When I turn the TV/FIOS on the TV gives the Mode Not Supported message.  The only way to fix this issue is to Unplug the DVR wait for it to shut down and then plug it back in.  Everything then works.

I tried changing the Video Settings and the SD Output and that seemed to work for a couple weeks, now its back to the same. 

This problem seems to happen when the last channel watched was SD and then it goes to record a HD channel. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Likes
Re: Mode Not Supoorted
romanom
Enthusiast - Level 2

Which Samsung model do you have? And, which port is it connected to? 

I have a LN37A550 with an HM DVR connected to the HDMI 1 port and have had no issues.

However, I also have an older Toshiba HD TV with a DVI connection with an HD box and that combination does ocassionally have issues with loss of signal between the box and TV (which usually returns by itself after 30 seconds).

If you have access to a spare HDMI cable, try switching cables.  HDMI cables have a protocol or "handshake" between devices and if there is an issue connectivity may be lost.

While expensive cables are a waste of money, you should have a 1.3 level cable (which is the latest iteration).

Message Edited by romanom on 10-10-2008 02:52 AM
Message Edited by romanom on 10-10-2008 02:53 AM

Forgot to add, did you check to see if there's a firmware upgrade for your TV?  Check here: 
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDownMain.do
Message Edited by romanom on 10-10-2008 02:58 AM
0 Likes
romanom
Enthusiast - Level 2

I forgot to ask, what do you have the 4:3 overide set to?  I had mine set to stretch and each time I would switch from an HD to an SD channel I would get a "Searching for Signal' pop-up.  Most of the time it lasted for about 2-3 seconds, but on rare occassion I would have to turn off the STB to regain signal. 

I just ended up turning the overide to Off.

0 Likes
mecombs

I have tried different HDMI cables.  Currently it uses the HDMI3 input, but have tried them all.

I did have the firmware updated previously to fix an audio problem.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
My neighbor has a Samsung and experienced this exact issue.  He said he was told that it was an issue with the TV not being able to read the whole signal coming accross the HDMI cable, fast enough.  He said he was told that Samsung had a patch coming.  In the meantime I remember he did switch to component cables and audio and I never heard anything from him again.  he said he did not notice much difference if any in the picture quality after he switched cables
0 Likes
GPGG1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have a Samsung and have expeienced this issue on ocassion.  The only fix I am aware of is to reset the receiver by unplugging it for a few seconds.  I works fine after that for a while then the issue returns.   
0 Likes