Modem Connection Problem

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Modem Connection Problem

Message 1 of 3
(3,719 Views)

I'm trying to connect a new TV to my 6100 modem. The ethernet light does not illuminate when the cable is plugged in. I believe the LAN is set up properly. Any suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: Modem Connection Problem

Message 2 of 3
(3,705 Views)

Simple tests to start with.

1. make sure that the ethernet is connected to a lan port, not the wan. ( I know simple, but sometimes the simple things are what get us the most)

2. Take the ethernet cable and perform a loop test. Plug both ends of the ethernet into two lan ports.  IE one end into port 1 and the other into Port 2.  Do both lan lights light up? 

•   Yes, then the cable and the router ports are probably OK. Take a look at the TV connection. 
  •   No, then the cable or one of the router ports are likely bad

3.  If the answer was yes in the previous question. Then connect a computer (laptop) if possible using that cable and router port. Can it get to the internet? 

• Yes, then definatly a problem with the tv connection. either bad jack or improper set up on the TV settings. Look at the owners manual or call the manufacturer of the TV
  • No, Troubleshoot the router with computer until you get online, then connect back to the TV.

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Modem Connection Problem

Message 3 of 3
(3,655 Views)

6100 modem?   does that have a DSL light indicator on it?   I Don't believe you can use that with the FiOS and the ethernet port on the back of the cable box is deactivated.   soooo.....

idk

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.