More STB's than allowed on FIOS? I need 8 STB seems like 7 is max. Any ideas?
Texman02
Enthusiast - Level 2
We have recently added a media room and a game room to our residence. We already had 4 HD STB and the media room needed three boxes (projector & 2 TVs off to the side) and game room needs 1. That equals 8 STB. With our router taking up one coax, it left us with only 7 STB available. I had called sales and ordered enough boxes, but when the tech arrived he said he could only do 7 boxes. The tech replaced basically the whole system added a signal amplifier. I had brought all the coax from every point to a single panel and pulled coax for the tech. I really need that 8th box to complete the system, but the tech made it sound almost impossible. Anybody know my options?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: More STB's than allowed on FIOS? I need 8 STB seems like 7 is max. Any ideas?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

With FiOS - the ONT has an extremely strong signal.

Verizon has cable boxes that have no guide info, no video on demand, and they are strictly cable boxes that give you only the channels.   These are model DCT 700.

You could without upgrading anything (routers) get 15.

The problem comes in when you want the standard Verizon Cable boxes, that do the on demand, the multi room, the Info Guide, the widgets.   

Those boxes require an IP Address from the router, and they travel from the router, across Coax Cable to the cable boxes.

That is done by a technology called MOCA.   

With the older Verizon Routers (Moca 1.0) you had the 7 IP enabled set top box limit (on top of that 7, you could have still got the extra DCT700 tv converter boxes to make a total of 14 or 15 without any headache or hassle)

This could have been overcome by verizon without changing the router, by adding additional hardware at your house.  The Verizon Tech has a Tier II line and Network tech's to call on when he doesn't know something.

With the Newer Verizon routers, (Moca 1.1) you can get past that 7 limit, as it increases to 14 or 15.  The caveat is that all the devices (as noted above) have to be moca 1.1 compliant.  That means you would need to double check your cable box model numbers.  If they are all 7xxx series Set top boxes, then you would be fine.  If you had any 2500's or 6xxx series set top boxes, those would have to be upgraded along with the router, or they would have to go back to the old way. 

Either way it could have been done, the newer router, would have made it easier for everyone involved, especially if you had all 7xxx series set top boxes.  

If you are getting poor pixelization and poor signal with the more set top boxes you are putting on, then that is not a by product of the Verizon FiOS terminal, that's a by product of Wiring.  So you, or someone you bring in, or Verizon would need to find where that problem is and fix it for you. 

View solution in original post

Re: More STB's than allowed on FIOS? I need 8 STB seems like 7 is max. Any ideas?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

they can add more, that tech did not know what he was doing.   he should have called into his tier ii line.  

Couple notes.  the old Gen 1 and Gen 2 routers (silver band and a single antenna) are moca 1.0 and have the 7 max, the new Gen 3 router (red band and two antenna's) can let you get upto 15 or 16 

0 Likes
MercerNick65
Contributor - Level 1

In addition, all the set top boxes must be MOCA 1.1 compliant as well ...

http://www.mocalliance.org/industry/certified_products.php

Texman02
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ok so the issue of adding set top boxes can be fixed by the router? I'm sorry I'm a bit confused the signal goes into the router and then to the tvs. I'm sorry I don't understand the nuances of the network.

Also will I lose signal quality and reliability with more tvs. It seems like since we added more boxes our tvs freeze more and our Internet is less reliable

Thanks for your answers. I really want this to work out, I was beginning to think about direct tv and just keep fios for Internet.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

With FiOS - the ONT has an extremely strong signal.

Verizon has cable boxes that have no guide info, no video on demand, and they are strictly cable boxes that give you only the channels.   These are model DCT 700.

You could without upgrading anything (routers) get 15.

The problem comes in when you want the standard Verizon Cable boxes, that do the on demand, the multi room, the Info Guide, the widgets.   

Those boxes require an IP Address from the router, and they travel from the router, across Coax Cable to the cable boxes.

That is done by a technology called MOCA.   

With the older Verizon Routers (Moca 1.0) you had the 7 IP enabled set top box limit (on top of that 7, you could have still got the extra DCT700 tv converter boxes to make a total of 14 or 15 without any headache or hassle)

This could have been overcome by verizon without changing the router, by adding additional hardware at your house.  The Verizon Tech has a Tier II line and Network tech's to call on when he doesn't know something.

With the Newer Verizon routers, (Moca 1.1) you can get past that 7 limit, as it increases to 14 or 15.  The caveat is that all the devices (as noted above) have to be moca 1.1 compliant.  That means you would need to double check your cable box model numbers.  If they are all 7xxx series Set top boxes, then you would be fine.  If you had any 2500's or 6xxx series set top boxes, those would have to be upgraded along with the router, or they would have to go back to the old way. 

Either way it could have been done, the newer router, would have made it easier for everyone involved, especially if you had all 7xxx series set top boxes.  

If you are getting poor pixelization and poor signal with the more set top boxes you are putting on, then that is not a by product of the Verizon FiOS terminal, that's a by product of Wiring.  So you, or someone you bring in, or Verizon would need to find where that problem is and fix it for you. 

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Here's an FAQ about it.The tech would have been following these instructions essentially to get more than 7

And here is a past discussion that also goes into decent detail.

How to connect 8 STB to FiOS - Verizon Community

Texman02
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the info. Going to call verizon and try and get them to come and take care of it!!
0 Likes