Motorola 7232 audio crackling problem on several channels
FrozenMangos

I've had an issue with my Motorola 7232 HD DVR for several months now but it's just become too distracting to ignore. I have the STB hooked up to my Denon 1913 receiver via HDMI, though the problem still occurs when I plug the HDMI directly into my TV.

When watching certain channels (CW, MoreMAX, HBOZone, HBO2, HBOFamily and several others but CW is the worst) I get a LOT of crackling and popping audio whenever there's any bass in the scene at all.  This happens regardless of the volume and if I play the scene back again the audio problems happen in the exact same place every time.

Here's the kicker.  The problem doesn't exist with onDemand movies or TV shows.  I've tested the same movie recorded on DVR against the onDemand version and the problems only exist for live or recorded shows.  I'd normally say it's not an issue and that I could just watch onDemand, but not all channels or movies are offered.

I've tried:

Restarting the STB

Removing power from the device for a few minutes and booting back up

Changed Dynamic Range to 'None'

Setting the advanced HDMI audio setting to HDMI passthrough or LPCM

Hooking up the HDMI cable directly to my TV (problem still occurs through my TV speakers)

Three new HDMI cables from different manufacturers

Any advice?

0 Likes
Re: Motorola 7232 audio crackling problem on several channels
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Hi FrozenMangos ,

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:

http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

Regards,

AnnieS

0 Likes
jbellucirx
I have the same exact problem...I've been searching all over the Internet for a solution or someone who has the same thing occurring. Only difference with my setup is it is going through a denon 1712. Any resolution on your end?
0 Likes
chipcook

i've had the same problem since I first had Fios hooked up. At first I thought that my levels were off and that it could have been the speakers attached to my receiver, but I've noticed the crackle on TV speakers in two other rooms (direct HDMI hook-up, no external audio receiver). 

Going to try to run the troubleshooter, but I'm not sure how much that will help. Any suggestions, other than the troubleshooter? According to the support page, I have a Cisco CHS435HDC.

I really enjoy Fios overall. Far superior to Comcast from an internet standpoint. This is the only issue thus far.

0 Likes
Kbueno1
Any updates? This issue started from last software upgrade. I was told to wait for next upgrade in Q1 2013 which may fix issue.
0 Likes
petmic10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having the same issue as everyone else but I have an Onkyo processor and a QIP7100. Crackling through the speakers when a scene with bass hits. Tried just about everything to fix it, which includes swapping HDMI cables, going direct to the tv with hdmi, using a digital audio cable, resetting my HD box and cycling through just about every audio setting in the set top box.

This is definitely a Verizon issue because my sound is perfect when I use my Blu-ray player, Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

0 Likes
Shasta85

Having the same issues as described; anyone discover a fix?  Maybe a new/better box will handle audio better?

On the verge of just canceling my service due to this horrible audio experiences (I'm kind of an audio freak so it really bugs me; plus want to keep my equipment working in tiptop shape).

*Edit* My box is the QIP7100 P2

0 Likes
Kbueno1
I'm not sure if an update happened....still have the issue> Occurs on all TVs under intense audio. Can someone from Verizon please comment....this may be a deal breaker if this is not resolved. I have been very patient.
0 Likes