Motorola DCT-700 Digital Adapter not changing channels consistently
GrzzBear
Enthusiast - Level 2

2 of the 4 Motorola DCT-700 digital adapter's in my home do not always work with the remotes. First one would not change channels at all unless the STB was rebooted & then it would only work for a day or two before it would not work again. I had that STB replaced & still same issue. Second box started acting up with same issue except it would work when it felt like it. Power on & off & channel change. First thing was to replace batteries, took remotes apart to clean contacts & even tried a knows good remote & still same issue. I replaced cables & splitter & even connected the STB directly to ONT removing all "bad connection" issues. I had the second STB replaced last week. It worked for about 5 minuets before it started showing same issues with channel change & power on & off. It is not as bad as the old STB but still have to hit buttons repeatedly to get it to work. Both boxes worked for years without issue. Nothing in the rooms have changed, nothing added that would cause IR interference. I had that issue years ago caused by LED light bulbs so I know what to look for. I constantly have issues with all STB including the one HD STB with pix elation on all channels. All cable in the house is brand new RG6 I replaced the cable splitter twice & tested with brand new cable plugged directly to ONT. Also had the ONT replaced about a year ago.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Motorola DCT-700 Digital Adapter not changing channels consistently
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@GrzzBear wrote:

2 of the 4 Motorola DCT-700 digital adapter's in my home do not always work with the remotes. First one would not change channels at all unless the STB was rebooted & then it would only work for a day or two before it would not work again. I had that STB replaced & still same issue. Second box started acting up with same issue except it would work when it felt like it. Power on & off & channel change. First thing was to replace batteries, took remotes apart to clean contacts & even tried a knows good remote & still same issue. I replaced cables & splitter & even connected the STB directly to ONT removing all "bad connection" issues. I had the second STB replaced last week. It worked for about 5 minuets before it started showing same issues with channel change & power on & off. It is not as bad as the old STB but still have to hit buttons repeatedly to get it to work. Both boxes worked for years without issue. Nothing in the rooms have changed, nothing added that would cause IR interference. I had that issue years ago caused by LED light bulbs so I know what to look for. I constantly have issues with all STB including the one HD STB with pix elation on all channels. All cable in the house is brand new RG6 I replaced the cable splitter twice & tested with brand new cable plugged directly to ONT. Also had the ONT replaced about a year ago.

Any ideas?

Any chance it has something to do with activation? Can you get support to de- activate the boxes and re-activate them for you? Have you tried them in a different room? Is it possible there is an RF not IR issue going on? Sometimes fluorescent lamps, or power supplies for devices can leak RF that affects other devices.

GrzzBear
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been on with support several times. They tried everything. Already stated that I eliminated all possibilities, Cable, splitter, remote, IR interference, replaced both boxes & ONT.  

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@GrzzBear wrote:

I've been on with support several times. They tried everything. Already stated that I eliminated all possibilities, Cable, splitter, remote, IR interference, replaced both boxes & ONT.  

That's why I suggested RF interference. It's the only other possibility if you are certain it isn't IR interference. Those boxes have been around a long time without problems,, and I doubt there has been any firmware updates lately. So unless the code for the remote isn't working properly, the ONLY possibility is RF or IR interference.

GrzzBear
Enthusiast - Level 2

There also has been no change in RF in the house. Remotes use IR so RF would bot be an issue anyway. I tested the "bad" STB with a remote form a known working STB & still had same problem. I am 100% positive I eliminated any issue with the remote, cable, STB & splitter. Could a poor signal coming into the ONT effect random STB? I would think it would effect every box. I do have problems with pix-elation on all boxes. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

AGrzzBear wrote:

There also has been no change in RF in the house. Remotes use IR so RF would bot be an issue anyway. I tested the "bad" STB with a remote form a known working STB & still had same problem. I am 100% positive I eliminated any issue with the remote, cable, STB & splitter. Could a poor signal coming into the ONT effect random STB? I would think it would effect every box. I do have problems with pix-elation on all boxes. 

A poor signal from the ONT would affect ALL the boxes, as the signal is equally split between the outputs of the splitter. If you go direct from the ONT with a NEW piece of coax to a box and still get pixellation, the problem is either the ONT or the delivery system upstream. The remotes being affected by RF happens because the box is adversely affected by the RF, not the remote, so it can't process the signal. There was at least one instance I'm aware of here where an LED light did exactly that to someones box. It wasn't the IR, it was the RF the transformer in the LED bulb was generating getting into the power line for that circuit. How many splitters are in your system? Is one of your boxes working correctly, no remote or pixellation problems?

GrzzBear
Enthusiast - Level 2

1 splitter that I replaced 3 times, conected the brand new coax from ONT to STB & made no difference.

2 of the 5 STB are having the channel/power button issue, all 5 have pixellation.

Pixellation is not constant. Some days I never have it & some days its really bad.

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@GrzzBear wrote:

1 splitter that I replaced 3 times, conected the brand new coax from ONT to STB & made no difference.

2 of the 5 STB are having the channel/power button issue, all 5 have pixellation.

Pixellation is not constant. Some days I never have it & some days its really bad.

When the picture pixellates, does it do it on all the TVs in the house at the same time? If so it may be a problem with the fiber or the ONT. Does your internet get slow when the pixellation occurs? If you swap boxes from good to bad, does the remote issue follow the boxes?