Motorola Medios+ VMS1100 6 Tuner DVR/STB. What is the Status???
Dunlop1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is Verizon going to announce an availabiltiy date for this new device or what?

Considering the publicity around the announcement, I find it pretty **bleep** odd that not a word has been spoken about tis since CES.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/residential/news-articles/2013/01-verizon-motorola-fios-tv-media-serve...

Can we get an update please??

Re: The new amzing Motorola Medios+ VMS1100 STB. What is the Status??? No word since CES!
Dunlop1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Re: Motorola Medios+ VMS1100 6 Tuner DVR/STB. What is the Status???
Xgin01
Enthusiast - Level 2
Seriously thinking about switching to a different cable provider or getting the new TiVo.
Tired of waiting. Give us a date already.
0 Likes
YankeesFan1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems to be a common theme with Verizon.  Not sure why you would announce it in January and still not have it available in Septmeber.

0 Likes
JohnCF
Contributor - Level 1

This is probably doomed to never see the light of day.

1. Verizon stopped the rollout of FiOS.

2. Verizon is spending MANY BILLIONS to buyout Vodaphone in order to strengthen their wireless empire.

3. Verizon charges wireless customers $10 per gigabyte of delivered data, which costs them only a penny.

4. Hundreds of millions of people are now spending most of their time on smartphones and LTE enabled tablets and less and less time in front of a tv.

The men in charge of Verizon are tightly focused on the highly profitable wireless market and have already begun to write off the tv programming delivery market.

The days of broadcast television, programming bundles, and sitting in the living room with the family to watch the Wonderful World of Disney are nearly over and mostly forgotten.  Studios and networks are looking to the world of streaming services and IP delivery systems and the exploding dominance of wireless devices as the main tool for information and entertainment in todays and tomorrows consumers. 

IF this VMS device is ever released, it is probably the last thing you will see from Verizon in the wired market of programming services.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Not to add fuel to the fire but I'm pretty happy with the Internet Speeds, although I don't see the benefit of 150 meg download speed.  The telephone works, just seems like since I switched I get more nonsense calls but the TV Service. OMG, the picture quality is good but the whole DVR situation is terrible.  Fios is so far behind the 8 ball on this one.  The MRDVR is nice but only a 2 tuner DVR? The Media Server promises so much but my biggest fear is how much VZ is going to charge for it.  They forced folks to pay for the upgrade to the larger DVR.  I wonder how much to upgrade to Media Server.  For me, I can go to my local cable company and get a MRDVR along with 6 tuners for no additional charge.  I hope VZ does right and gets this out soon.  Will need to decide in 6 monthhs when my contract is up for renewal.

0 Likes
Dunlop1
Enthusiast - Level 2

JohnCF, I don't see the relation between most of your arguments about the delay of the VMS1100.

The Vodaphone purchase is by the Verizon Wireless division and has no bearing on Verizon Fios business.

Yes, the FIOS rollout is now frozen but that doesn't mean that Verizon is stopping all research on improving it's current platform. Quite the contrary in fact. It sees the 6 Tuner DVR from DirecTV as definite competition from its ALSO very profitable broadband subscibers. Since the VMS1100 is already in the provisioning pipeline, why would they take a loss by NOT making it available to customers and thus, eating the R&D and licensing fees it has paid to Motorola?

Other cable operators maybe losing customers to cord cutting, but FIOS is GROWING.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/verizon-adds-140k-fios-tv-subs-video-penetration-increases-386-q2-2...

I understand your arguments but before you chime in on a product with the air of authority on the topic, you should do some research instead of reproducing industry talking points.

0 Likes
JohnCF
Contributor - Level 1

JohnCF, I don't see the relation between most of your arguments about the delay of the VMS1100.

The Vodaphone purchase is by the Verizon Wireless division and has no bearing on Verizon Fios business.

Yes, the FIOS rollout is now frozen but that doesn't mean that Verizon is stopping all research on improving it's current platform. Quite the contrary in fact. It sees the 6 Tuner DVR from DirecTV as definite competition from its ALSO very profitable broadband subscibers. Since the VMS1100 is already in the provisioning pipeline, why would they take a loss by NOT making it available to customers and thus, eating the R&D and licensing fees it has paid to Motorola?

Other cable operators maybe losing customers to cord cutting, but FIOS is GROWING.

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/verizon-adds-140k-fios-tv-subs-video-penetration-increases-386-q2-2...

I understand your arguments but before you chime in on a product with the air of authority on the topic, you should do some research instead of reproducing industry talking points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The growth seen in FiOS subscribers is expected as most people rotate every two years between cable and satellite or other providers to get the discounts and new equipment current subscribers are not offered.  The number of new subs for FiOS is limited by the fact that they have stopped laying fiber and have opted to expand wireless, which is much more profitable.

2.  Where is the VMS1100?  You claim it is in the pipeline. Provide your proof.  Verizon originally announced this product was going to be available in the fall of LAST YEAR.  Then they demo something in January of this year and then nothing. No official announcements, details or anything.  Meanwhile, Dish Network, DirecTV, and Tivo have all had 4 or more tuners for several years now and 1TB or larger hard drives for recording, and, their IMG software is years ahead of Verizon.

Ceton has several products on the market that use Verizon's cablecard to record 4 to 6 channels at once and one product from Ceton offers whole house IPTV from that cablecard to any tablet, computer, or tv. Meanwhile, FiOS customers are still being given DVRs that use 160GB drives and severely limited recording options.

3. Why would Verizon take a loss? Because FiOS TV Programming is already a loss for Verizon. It serves as the loss leader to make TRIPLE PLAY packages appear desireable to those subs ready to try another provider.  They could easily write off any losses, eliminate the traditional TV programming packages and DVRs and save millions, while expanding their instant streaming service they now provide with their Red Box agreement.  

Will this happen overnite?  Probably not. However, the VMS1100 is nowhere in sight and not even formally announced with advertising on tv, slick copy flyers, and emails.  Based on Verizon's past deployment history, it could be 3 to 5 years before the VMS1100 gets to every sub with fiOS. By then, wireless devices and other smart devices will own the IP market with its 1,000s of streaming products.

Reproducing industry talking points?  Are you saying the industry is saying the same thing I see clearly happening already?  That's interesting. 

I like the convenience of having all my services through Verizon, however, their cellular service is now the most expensive of all providers, their TV service comes with the most primitive DVR on the market, and they have stopped laying fiber indefinitely while moving strongly in the direction of wireless services and IP based programming.

I know at least a dozen families that live across the street from FiOS customers and have been told they cannot get FiOS service.

I know whereof I speak - and I hope I'm wrong but I have worked and lived in the technology world for over 30 years.

0 Likes
tferrio
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's discouraging to me that no one from Verizon has jumped in here to give some update on the VMS1100.

We have been happy DirecTV customers for years but FiOS was installed here a year ago. (Thank heaven! We have no cable service option here so only had intermittent DSL before that.) DirecTV will give me a free Genie upgrade (2-year contract) but I see some advantage to the Verizon bundle (monthly price). But I would not switch to Verizon for anything less than a 6-tuner 1 Tb whole-house box.

Without some prospect of the VMS1100 I'll probably decide to pull the trigger on the DirecTV contract fairly soon.

I was hoping to see some update on this thread since the last predicted date was "September" and it's getting close to the end of the month...

On another topic mentioned here - odd about the "dozen families" in an area with FiOS who have been told they cannot get it. They are promoting it heavily here (RI) and installing homes daily from what I can see.

0 Likes
Verizon Media Server?
joker211
Contributor - Level 1

So I keep reading that Verizon Media Server is coming.  Yet it is taking forever.  Other cable comanys have 4 to 10 turner dvr platforms.  Now that Cablevision just came out with the ability to record 10 shows.  It seems that fios is already behind the times with the new VMS.

I am getting tired of hearing "soon" all the time.   Anyone have some info on when VMS is coming?  The pricing involved?

Anyone else tired of recording conflicts with just 2 turners?

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-05/verizon-fios-media-server-launch/

Back at CES, we admired Verizon’s upcoming six-tuner IPTV Media Server (VMS) and thin clients. And while it appears “soon” is off the table, the company has put a stake in the ground at NAB for a September launch

Well it is September.  So when?

Thanks

0 Likes