Motorola QIP7232 2 DVR went up in smoke and killed HDMI on my AVR
jballou

So the wife and I were watching something on the DVR last night.  Then all of a sudden the sound went out..  Was odd.  Fast foward the show, still no sound.  Then I smell it, the electrical burning.  I quickly flip the lights on, the DVR is smoking!!!..  I quickly unplug the Power conditioner from the wall and then unplug everything from the DVR.  Whew, close, so I thought.  I then plug everything back in except the DVR.  Turn my WD media player on to watch something else.  No video, no audio.  Crap..  So apparently after running some tests, the Motorola DVR killed my Harman Kardon AVR receiver as well. 

Now my question is...  Is Verizon at all liable for their failed DVR killing my AVR?  It was not a power surge---if it was, the power conditioner should have eaten it up.

Now my AVR is not the latest and greatest, but it was the Top of the line 6 or so years ago (AVR 745), and the sound that it produced was exceptional, as why the Onkyo AVR is in my bedroom instead of the living room.

Tried Verizon customer service, but that gets you no where as everyone keeps telling me to hook up the new DVR the same way the old one was----but of coarse I keep telling them that there is no sound or video because the old DVR killed my AVR.

Where do I go from here?  Complaint?  File a Claim?  Small Claims?  I don't know...

0 Likes
Re: Motorola QIP7232 2 DVR went up in smoke and killed HDMI on my AVR
billyboy5
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was a verizon tech for 34 years the last 10 doing fios and what you discribed is a first for me. We have had equipment failures like you discribe but usually during a storm or when the power comes back on after an outage. You may want to check the surge protector warranty, they usually come with a certain amount of coverage. As for calling verizon good luck with that. The only chance you have is having a tech come out and then agreeing with you that the stb was the cause, then he would his boss involved. Good luck

Re: Motorola QIP7232 2 DVR went up in smoke and killed HDMI on my AVR
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jballou wrote:

... apparently after running some tests, the Motorola DVR killed my Harman Kardon AVR receiver as well ... Is Verizon at all liable for their failed DVR killing my AVR?  ... Where do I go from here?  Complaint?  File a Claim?  Small Claims?  I don't know...

If VZ personnel assembled, connected, and tested all your devices, then maybe (and it''s a very distant "maybe") you might get some relief.  But obviously you yourself connected and wired your devices, so the onus is on you to maintain and if necessary service or replace them.  Further and although I don't know the details, it would not surprise me to learn that the VZ  terms of service specifically exclude liability for issues like this.

When it comes to getting relief, most power strips have some sort of device protection warranty, although I have never heard details of how these actually work.  Also, from your description the problem is unrelated to a surge through the power strip but originated in the DVR.  You can also check your homeowners policy, but it's likely that your deductible will wipe out any monetary compensation.  In short, you're in the market for a new AVR.

Incidentally I also have an older Harmon-Kardon AVR that I really love, so I sympathize.  In my case I'm way ahead because I didn't even have to pay for it.  It's one of my brother-in-law's "upgrade" castoffs (smile).

0 Likes