Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantially Smaller) Feedback
Justin46
Legend

@DMZ wrote:

FiOS tech support tells me they'll be upgrading my 6416 DVR (and 7100 P1 & P2) boxes to 1.9 'at some point' wherein I'll be able to plug in an external eSata drive.  But I'll believe it when I see it.  And as I said, I'd gladly upgrade to the new DVR if they could transfer over my existing recornings.  I wonder what the problem is with that.

Well, be careful with what they say. The 6416 does NOT have an eSATA port, so you cannot connect an external hard drive to it. And as you said, you cannot transfer existing recordings. I gather it is something to do with the RIAA (I think that is the correct name, it is the recording people), encryption requirements and restrictions on distribution, etc, that are the cause for not being able to copy or move.

One of the current concerns I have about using an external drive is that if the DVR the drive is attached to fails, or you replace the DVR with another for any reason, ALL of the recordings on the external drive are lost. And keep in mind that with an external drive attached, all recordings are done to the external drive until there is no space available, then the DVR will switch back to the internal drive. Verizon development is fully aware of this issue and I got the sense a couple of weeks ago when I had the opportunity to meet with some of them that they plan to address it. When? Who knows.... 

I had some recordings on my old 6416, I really wanted to keep them, but with no way to do so I just said to heck with it with the hope that maybe I could find the same programs broadcast again. So far no luck, but I keep looking.....

I never had 1.9A on my 6416 so I have no personal experience, but from what I have read those who have had it are disappointed. So you might want to consider getting a 7232 and maybe even keeping the 6416 for a while - yeah, I know, more money, I guess it depends on how much the old recordings are worth to you.....

Since you are in "New Yawk" I am guessing it may be a little while before you get 1.9A. Verizon does not publish a schedule so all is pretty much guesswork. But I am very impressed with 1.9A, I have seen some bugs reported but so far I really don't remember seeing any myself. And the ability for my wife to schedule and delete her own recordings from her STB (hopefully some time in the future she will actually delete some Smiley Happy ) has definitely made my life easier.

Anyway, good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantually Smaller) Feedback
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

To reply to the original question I have 3 7100P2s and 1 7232.  The 7100s respond a lot slower than the 7232 with any command we give it.  If I page the guide it moves every other push, same with On Demand, slow response to any command we give it, yet the 7232 is very resposive to every button push.

0 Likes
Re: Motorolla QIP7100P2 - New HD STB - Black (No Front Clock & Substantually Smaller) Feedback
Justin46
Legend

@doropallo wrote:

To reply to the original question I have 3 7100P2s and 1 7232.  The 7100s respond a lot slower than the 7232 with any command we give it.  If I page the guide it moves every other push, same with On Demand, slow response to any command we give it, yet the 7232 is very resposive to every button push.

Interesting. I have two 7100-P2s and one 7232. I can't tell any difference at all in the responses to the remotes, they all seem about equal. One difference might be that I have tube-type SD TVs attached to the 7100s and the Guide set for best viewing on those SD TVs, vs. an LCD HD TV on the 7232. What kind of TVs are attached to your 7100s, LCD, Plasma, tube, SD or HD?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

Every TV is a HD LCD set. 2 Pannys and 2 Sonys.  Don't see why the TV would affect the amount of times I have to push a button for the box to respond.  The 7232 is HDMI to a Sony, and the others are HDMI to the remaining sets.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@doropallo wrote:

Every TV is a HD LCD set. 2 Pannys and 2 Sonys.  Don't see why the TV would affect the amount of times I have to push a button for the box to respond.  The 7232 is HDMI to a Sony, and the others are HDMI to the remaining sets.

I don't either, other than in the past there have been complaints of some TVs, particularly plasma but also occasionally LCD, that have emitted infrared signals that have interferred with the IR signals from the remote. Usually it happens only early on, when the TV is first turned on. You can easily determine whether the TV is interferring at all by using the remote with the TV turned off to see if it responds ok. Then, If it does, I suggest checking the settings in your TV for the "light sensor" or maybe some other setting that causes the TV to generate IR signals. I guess another possibility is IR from some other source in the room. Another thing you might try is temporarily swapping the 7232 and one of the other STBs and see if the problem follows the box or stays in the room.

Just a thought, at least you could rule out IR interference.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jesus4gaveme03

I know my cable box is hooked to the network because it has an IP address.  Is there a way to play movies or music from an NAS on the same network? Would it be through a widget or something else?

0 Likes
DanoNYC

I believe you must install Verizon's Media Manager - and share the folders where the media is stored (within VMM)

Then, while Media Manager is running on a PC on the same router - access Media Manager from the FiOS menu.

(Some file format limitations though.   .x264, .mkv and others are woefully missed.)

0 Likes
ryar

Just set it up. While it works, kit is VERY fristrating that there is no channel display on the front or clock.  What were they thinking?????  I also notice that this model only gets an average rebview of one star in Amazon (which is veryvery unusual).  Verizon -- please replace with a box that provides feedback on what channel you are watching.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes