Sorry to break the news but it seems I do have the 1.6.1 build 8.32 and its not good. I am new to fios TV and maybe things are better in this build compare to what was before (I have nothing to compare) but in my mind, worse, in my wife mind this is simply broken.
She was watching Housewife of OC (or something like that) last night an in 1 hour session, she run into this issue 4 times.
I could only go by what I hear in this forum, but it seems to me that Verizon is doing something wrong in testing new builds before they come out. How in the world could they release this without having it tested up and down. I read in this forum that there are only a handful of people testing a new fix. They need proper feedback before they release a new fix. I agree that everything else should be put on hold to fix the huge problem with their MR DVR. The Hub nag is only happening when streaming to an HD receiver. Being that more and more people are going to have HDTV's in their other rooms in their homes, they must find a way to get this fixed. It is a system that is broken....but why not have more people that test a new fix? What is the harm? Very disappointing. It could be a great service, but whoever is calling the shots is really not doing a good job.
1) DVR has limited space....160 gig What were they thinking?
2) Guide problems all over the place? What are they thinking? why can't this be fixed?
3) Not increasing the amount of testers of the new fixes? Why?
Don't get me wrong here. I like the service that Verizon puts forth. But, I never had a dvr before this. So I really have nothing to compare this with. The fact that I have a DVR at this point makes me very happy. Fix the nag already! Find a way to increase the size of the hard drive. Make your customers happy.
01-21-2009 04:39 PM - edited 01-21-2009 04:41 PM
If I may, let me offer an advise Verizon/Motorola so i wont appear as just complaining ..
There is no doubt there is bug and there is no doubt its very flaky which makes it very hard to repro (reproduce) and in reality it probably pop up in very strange and diverse set of setting hence fixing it will be hard.We would all love for Verizon (or most likely its Motorola) to catch this bug, fix it and be done however till then, I think there are few things that can be done to minimize the impact of the bug on the viewers.
1) Error message – The funny thing about this error is that when we get it we see a big error message in the middle of the screen however, while the error is on the screen blocking our view, the actual video is playing in the background. That means the connection is not really lost, it means the remote set top box believe its lost where its not. That what probably needs the fixing but till then, can we make the error message appear as small icon at the bottom of the screen ? yes, maybe from this point on we can’t do all sorts of video tricks like FF but at least we can watch the show.
2) Another thing that we are seeing is the fact that the Media Center doesn’t know the connection was lost as such it believes it continues to broadcast/stream out the video to the remote box. Those of us who tried to press the OK and re-run the show saw error messages saying the show is already streaming and we need to wait few more seconds before we can play it again (this is till the box is being alerted the connection was stopped /dropped).So what if …. At the time we see the error message on the screen or when the user press the “ok” button, the box will send “Stop” command to the media box. This will at least save a stop point so when we restart the show, we don’t need to use FF . think of it like an auto bookmark when error occurred. The stop doesn’t need to come from the remote set top box, it can be done by the home media machine when it detects a lost connection. I don’t see any scenario where adding a stop point can do harm, it can only do good. Users can always start from the beginning should they choose to do so.
Btw: the last suggestion is a good one to have regardless of the core bug. There will be cases where the connection might be truly lost for legit reasons but then, why not save the last point where the connection was alive?
These are two ways I can think of better error handling that can be done by the system. hopefully the error itself will be soon be resolved but till then, make the errors more friendly will be a good progress.
For the "Unable to locate Hub" Message...
I am a Fios Tech in NJ and recently a co-worker of mine came across this problem. In the end the one thing that seemed to fix it was to have Tech Support remove the Multi-room DVR service then put it back on the account. Both his and my customer have not had a problem since 1/18/9 .
Not sure if this is a permanent fix but hopefully it will last until the patch comes out.
1) Are you getting the nag?
2) What model is your Hd receiver?
3) Do you have new wiring? or did the installer use the coax that already exsisted in your house?
4) Do you have a direct connection to the splitter that Verizon installed?
5) When the nag comes up, does it also come up at the same time in another room?
6) Has anyone received the nag when watching a program on a Std receiver?
1) Yes, frequently.
2) QIP-7100-1 (DVR is QIP-6416-2).
3) Wiring was new when install was done in 2007 All connections & signal strength are good ln both the IMG and the hidden menu
5) Don't know
6)No SD recievers
I also have no communication via the web to my dvr, I rebooted Router restored Router, Added parameters to my router as per Gus and Joe this has been going on for over a week.. Funny thing is I NEVER had any of this problems until last week or so.My area did not get the 1.6.1 area
I Currently get "
I came to this site from the Broadband Forum. I have been having the "unable to locate hub" problem ever since I upgraded the set top box to a HD box in the remote room. I had a standard box for three years and never encountered the error. Now it happens with almost every show I watch at the remote location. I usually use the FF through the commericals but don't get the error message until about the 35-40 minute point in the show. I have no clue whether the software has been updated in our Bethesda MD area. I haven't tried to contact tech support as I really don't use the feature all that much (I have a VCR on that TV so I can do that as a work around as the VCR always behaves
same problem here. The updated IMG doesn't fix it either.