Multi-Room DVR Working Perfectly?
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

I wanted to start a new thread here to try and narrow down the reason for the "Unable To Locate Hub" nag that I and many others are getting frome the MR DVR when watching a program. The Unable to Locate Hub nag happens only to people who are streaming a recorded program to a Hd receiver (not a Standard Receiver). My questions are simple....

1) Are you getting the nag?

2) What model is your Hd receiver?

3) Do you have new wiring? or did the installer use the coax that already exsisted in your house?

4) Do you have a direct connection to the splitter that Verizon installed?

5) When the nag comes up, does it also come up at the same time in another room?

6) Has anyone received the nag when watching a program on a Std receiver?

Answering any of these questions would be helpful. If you have anything to add that would be helpful also.

I am getting the nag now and again. It could happen in 15 mins or an hour. But it almost always happens in the course of an hours time.

The model HD receiver that verizon sent me is HDQ1P-6200-2.

I have new wiring up until the splitter...to each room the installer used the pre-exsisting wiring that was inside the house already.

I have direct connections to each box from the splitter.

I am testing to see if the nag comes up the same time in another room.

When I had a Std receiver I never received the nag.

I have no idea if answering these questions will help at all. But if we could narrow down the problem or when the nag comes up, maybe it will help fix the problem.

If you MR-Dvr is working and streaming to a HD receiver without getting the nag, please post and provide info about your set-up.

0 Likes
Re: Multi-Room DVR Working Perfectly?
rayjc1

@vinnyv07 wrote:

1) Are you getting the nag?

2) What model is your Hd receiver?

3) Do you have new wiring? or did the installer use the coax that already exsisted in your house?

4) Do you have a direct connection to the splitter that Verizon installed?

5) When the nag comes up, does it also come up at the same time in another room?

6) Has anyone received the nag when watching a program on a Std receiver?

1) Yes, frequently.

2) QIP-6200-2 (DVR is QIP-6416-2). Both are less than 2 months old.

3) Wiring was new RG-6 when install was done in 2006. All connections & signal strength were checked by Vz techs in October, & declared good. Troubleshooting another problem, they replaced the Vz splitter & removed an attenuator, though signal was OK before that anyway. So wiring was not replaced when 6200 was installed last month, but has been confirmed "good as new" by Vz. Wiring is not the problem.

4) Yes.

5) Don't know.

6) I never saw this on the Std box (QIP-2500) that my 6200 replaced.

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

Just to update....

I started watching a recorded movie from my son's room and my bedroom at the same time. So two recordings (both Std) were being streamed from the Mr-Dvr at the same time to Hd receivers in different rooms. Both tv's received the nag at the same time. So it isn't like it will happen to one receiver and not the other. If it happens...it will happen across the board like and all viewing of recordings will be stopped. I heard someone say it is a break in the IP address. But correct me if I am wrong, the Mr Dvr output has nothing to do with streaming a recording. I am just saying that the recording when it is streamed has nothing to do with an IP address. If there was an IP address problem it would occur when you are trying to watch an on demand program or something like that. Also, the nag never happens when I am watching a recording at the Dvr itself. Which really means that something is happening from the DVR to the other HD receivers. Something is causing a break in the stream. Nothing to do with internet service or the service that Verizon is providing coming into the house. So...the only thing that might have to be looked at is the splitter and the freq that it is outputting. Does it have to output at a higher freq to an HD receiver rather than a Std receiver? I don't know, I am just throwing things around here.

Thanks for the reply rayjc1.

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2
In terms of MR-DVR dont think of the boxes as just a stb.  Think of the boxes as if they were a computer in a network.  If the STB has no IP address it has no way to communicate across the network.  But seriously I highly doubt it is an IP issue.  I will see if i can ruffle some feathers today for an update to the problem(no promises though, it is sunday and most of verizon development is off on sunday). 
0 Likes
searay1
i have model number 6200 hdst box, and i cant receive recorded programs to that box, only my reg stboxes. You can receive recorded programs on your HDbox? What is your model number? The 6200 is the newest version. Please help
0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1
I have the same model as you in all my rooms. I could watch HD recorded and Std recordings in each room from the MRDvr. The problem lies in the nag that comes up now and then.
0 Likes
jgannon87

Any updates on this?

Verizon just installed my FIOS with all new HD boxes (don't know the model) and I get this problem in the remote room when watching recorded HD. My link is all existing coax through a verizon supplied multiplexer.

It is a communication problem and a software bug.  The communication is lost and the remote box is not smart enough to reestablish it at the right place.  I can go back and start the movie over again so the link still works.  

But, today I had a variant.  I had been watching a movie and stopped.  I resumed from another room (worked fine).  It cut out.  I resumed play again and it picked up  from where I had first started.  I fast forwarded past the spot where it died but when I hit play it froze.

This is a software bug in the boxes and Verizon needs to address this. 

0 Likes
GirlFriday715

I have the latest model of the multiroom dvr.  I just had the fios tv installed two weeks ago.  I get the unable to locate hub message every time I try to watch a recorded program on one of the other hd tvs.  It's so annoying because it takes you back to the beginning of the program.

I had Dish network, and the installer used the coax from that since my house didn't have coax already installed.  I'm actually doing research to find a solution.

0 Likes
jgannon87

I called Verizon and talked with a rep.  I explained the situation and begged him to write up a ticket on the problem to be reviewed by thier engineering or QA staff.  He said that he would.  I asked them to have an engineer call me.  If I don't get a call and the problem persists at my house I will work my way up the chain.

I work in the technology operations arena.  The key is to be pleasant but firm.  The problem exists, making a note in your file will not help.  You want them to escalate to engineering and then get back to you.  Don't be a screamer.

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

Hello guys,

jgannon87, I really hate to say this but you probably will not recieve a call about the issue.  If you have the ticket number i would really like to take a look at it.  We here at verizon do know that there is a problem, no one is disputing that fact.  They have set a resolution to come in IMG 1.7.  IMG 1.7 is to be completed by years end or the middle of january to the best of my knowledge. 

Have a nice day.

TS