Multi-Room access with External Hard Drive
auapplemact

If I added one of the WD hard drives now available through Verizon FIOS to my Motorola QIP 7216  Multi-Room DVR, would I be able to access the recordings in another room?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multi-Room access with External Hard Drive
Justin46
Legend

@auapplemact wrote:

Thanks, Justin. I was just told by Verizon Tech CS that I wouldn't be able to access the external drive from the set top boxes in the other rooms. (scratching my head).

Any one actually have success doing this using the Motorola QIP 7216? I really want to add capacity without losing the recording on the internal drive. The external was to be the answer to my prayers. Now I'm totally confused.

Well I guess it is up to you to decide who to believe.... Smiley Very Happy

Think about this: since all new recordings will be done to the external drive after it is attached and formatted, what would be the benefit of having the Multi-Room feature if you could not see any of those recordings from other STBs?

You are right to be scratching your head....

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@auapplemact wrote:

If I added one of the WD hard drives now available through Verizon FIOS to my Motorola QIP 7216  Multi-Room DVR, would I be able to access the recordings in another room?

Yes.

As long as the Multi-Room feature is turned on and you can see the DVR from another STB, you will be able to view any recordings on the external drive.

Keep in mind that once the external drive is connected and activated, all recordings on the DVR will be done to that external drive until it is full or the drive is disconnected, and that drive cannot be connected to another DVR without a reformat of the drive and the loss of all recordings on it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
auapplemact

Thanks, Justin. I was just told by Verizon Tech CS that I wouldn't be able to access the external drive from the set top boxes in the other rooms. (scratching my head).

Any one actually have success doing this using the Motorola QIP 7216? I really want to add capacity without losing the recording on the internal drive. The external was to be the answer to my prayers. Now I'm totally confused.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@auapplemact wrote:

Well I guess it is up to you to decide who to believe.... Smiley Very Happy

Think about this: since all new recordings will be done to the external drive after it is attached and formatted, what would be the benefit of having the Multi-Room feature if you could not see any of those recordings from other STBs?

You are right to be scratching your head....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
auapplemact

After reading your entry, I did a Live Chat and the Techie confirmed your experience. I will order the drive today and hope I won't be banging my head against the wall trying to install it.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
TommyRox
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone been able to verify that after adding an external drive the DVR(s) is still accessible from other STB's - do not see a clear answer. Grant now that we are all on 1.9 and have MRDVR...

0 Likes
dpowell1

I still can not access my external from any device except the actual DVR.

I'm going to verify I'm on at least 1.9 but since it is July 2012 and it still does not work then I'm thinking my devices should have been upgraded by now.

Don

0 Likes
cesee
Enthusiast - Level 2

It doesn't work for me, and so far, Verizon hasn't been able to figure it out. Did anyone ever get this working?