Re: Multi-room DVR question
jake5975
Enthusiast - Level 3

@MikeyB wrote:

I suspect that the issue of having multiple viewing DVRs on the same MOCA network is not trivial.  The router comms with each of the STBs at various freqs across the cable (i.e 214Mhz, 220 Mhz, etc).  Surely it is a software challenge that could be eventually mastered, but iit nvolves both STB and router software.   I don't think it is a trivial task one might expect VZ to crash to resolve anytime soon.  The biggest DVR fault IMHO is the small storage space.  If that were expanded, I would have no real issues with the DVR service (tv guide is still pretty lame though).

Regarding the nag issue, I have had FIOS TV since late Nov with the Multi-room DVR and 3 other STBs.  I have not experienced the nag screen once yet, and my family has not told me of seeing it.  Granted I have not had the service long and have not watched weeks of streaming on the other STBs.  But if it were strictly a FIOS issue, I might have expected to see it by now.  Your install tech would have checked signal levels on your cable ports, but maybe there is just enough signal loss somewhere in your home cabling to make the router comm between STB and DVR see errors.  Strong signal strength of the prime FIOS feed to each STB does not mean the feed from router to an STB is as strong.  Not sure how one would go about testing the router signal strength independent of the FIOS signal.

MikeyB - are your three other STBs HD-STBs?  The nag occurs when streaming from the MR-DVR to a HD-STB.  I have a SD-STB in the basement, and will often times watch recorded shows down there when working out.  Never a nag.  But the STB in our bedroom is HD, and that's where we continually get the nag.  Signal levels on cable ports is fine, per tech at install (brand new home).  Feed from router to STB - no idea?  But, if my router (in an office on the first floor) is able to send a signal down to my basement STB without any problems, then it should certainly be able to do the same to my bedroom, which is in closer proximity to the office.

Message Edited by jake5975 on 01-06-2009 04:27 PM
0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

The nag only started happening when I started streaming to a HD receiver. I have had friends who have called and requested std receivers and turned in their HD ones. It is a huge problem that occurs to many people that are trying to stream video from the MR DVR to an HD receiver. It needs to fixed and their are many people aware of it. I am sure that Verizon is trying to come up with a fix for it....it is difficult to pin down because it happens at random times. I have tried many tests of my system and it happens only when streaming to HD recivers....never to a std receiver.

0 Likes
MikeyB
Actually, I miscounted.  I have 2 HD and 2 SD boxes in addition to the DVR.  This is one of the reasons I left Dish.  They would only let me have 4 total receivers, and DVR was two of them.  I think I am the only one who regularly uses streaming to watch on the HD tv upstairs from the DVR.  Haven't seen the nag screen yet.  But from other comments on the forum, it seems that it must be more than just a signal strength issue.  I guess I have just been lucky so far.
0 Likes
harley8004
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well, VZ needs to bump up the size of the drives in the DVR. 120 gb sucks when you're recording HD programming. Perhaps if they add the SATA  or USB2 option for external drive maybe that would increase sales on the service. Main reason why I have 3 DVR's is due to storage capacity is low for HD programming. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the connection.
0 Likes