Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Multiple DVR Questions

Reply
TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,059
Registered: ‎10-21-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 11 of 20
(9,633 Views)
Yeah but to stream recorded shows, you need two of them at twice the price. And will no hardware upgrades. Or if it breaks, you have to replace it. 
dross333
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎12-15-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 12 of 20
(9,628 Views)

I believe with Tivo you would loose the VOD from Verizon.  So, I guess a netflix subscription would be a replacement.

 

Three TV boxes would also be a bit expensive upfront (3 is my need)

TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,059
Registered: ‎10-21-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 13 of 20
(9,611 Views)

CSimpson wrote: Dump your recorded shows to PC:  Tivo supports this too.

 


Are you able to stream shows from a tivo to a PC? 

 

CSimpson
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎09-30-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 14 of 20
(9,595 Views)

@TimSykes wrote:

CSimpson wrote: Dump your recorded shows to PC:  Tivo supports this too.

 


Are you able to stream shows from a tivo to a PC? 

 


You just back up your shows directly to the PC.  If you want to stream them, then I believe you would need something like a slingbox.

TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,059
Registered: ‎10-21-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 15 of 20
(9,592 Views)
Hell that may be a good option for me then. After my 1 year is up I have to start paying for my MR-DVR and my HD STB. Like 30 bucks a month. I would break even within 2 years. My back 50" TV has a PC hooked up to it. Will it let you backup any show? SD, and HD, qam and clear qam?

CSimpson wrote: 

You just back up your shows directly to the PC.  If you want to stream them, then I believe you would need something like a slingbox.


 

CSimpson
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎09-30-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 16 of 20
(9,589 Views)

@TimSykes wrote:
Yeah but to stream recorded shows, you need two of them at twice the price. And will no hardware upgrades. Or if it breaks, you have to replace it. 

 

Everyone knows it's not cheap.  You have to pay to play, and in this case, you literally do get what you pay for.  For the price of a good computer, you could have a really nice Tivo set up.

 

I'm just letting the OP know that Tivo provides them with a solution to their problems.  It also address the 1/2 dozen other issues that are common on this forum.

CSimpson
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎09-30-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 17 of 20
(9,588 Views)

@TimSykes wrote:
Hell that may be a good option for me then. After my 1 year is up I have to start paying for my MR-DVR and my HD STB. Like 30 bucks a month. I would break even within 2 years. My back 50" TV has a PC hooked up to it. Will it let you backup any show? SD, and HD, qam and clear qam?

CSimpson wrote: 

You just back up your shows directly to the PC.  If you want to stream them, then I believe you would need something like a slingbox.


 


 

 

Whatever you record onto your DVR, you can dump to your PC.  Didn't someone on here provide a nice write-up on Tivo with pictures once?  I'll dig up that info if I can.

dross333
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎12-15-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 18 of 20
(9,582 Views)
I have read on the Tivo forum that there was several issues with Tivo and FIOS such as pixilation.  They contributed this to the strong signal from FIOS and that the TIVO box has issues handling that.  Some have tried adding a 10db attenuator. 

 

CSimpson
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 121
Registered: ‎09-30-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 19 of 20
(9,579 Views)

I do need to mention that you will not be able to copy over most movies on "Premium" channels that have a copy protection built in.  All other shows are doable.

 

Here's a great post in avsforums regarding Tivo.  #31 handles the answer on copying over to PC.

 

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11126048

 

Enjoy.

TimSykes
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III
Posts: 1,059
Registered: ‎10-21-2008

Re: Multiple DVR Questions

Message 20 of 20
(9,577 Views)
thanks for the info.
How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.