Multiple DVR's
Chuck310

I was messaging with an agent a few nights ago and let them know that my family would like to have an additional DVR added to our plan because the 2 we have are constantly getting filled and we are out of room. After a brief back and forth the rep told me I only had 1 w/4  mini's. I had to explain again that we currently had 2 Multi room DVR's and 3 mini's.  Finally, he understood what we had and went on to explain that I could not get another one and Verizon did not offer that. We went round and round again and finally he came back and let me know that it would not be a problem to add another DVR to my plan at no additional charge since we were already on the Premium  multi room service. Hey great. Oh and BTW, your contract is expired and if you do not renew, your bill will go up 75 dollars. Do you want to renew? Well what will be my new bill. The total is 33 dollars than my current bill plus an additonal 25 for shipment of the box since the nearest store to me in VA is in MD.  Yeah, wait, hold up. so now, I have to pay 25 dollars to ship a box and 33 extra dollars a month.  Finally, I agreed to renew and am assured that the box will have just as much storage as the other 2 at no additional cost to us besides the new bill and we will have no issues. 

Next day we receive a box and what do you think is inside....

You guessed it a mini box... Boy was I HOT!!!

SO instead of chatting this time, I actually called. This time in speaking with the representative, I went on to explain to the representative that I received the wrong box and she told me that I had not. She tried to tell me that it is a DVR and has recording capabilities.. I guess they just do not listen to the customer because again I explained that the 2 DVRs do not have enough storage for us and we want another main unit NOT a mini. Mini's are not DVR's, they are just units that set up recording for the main units. So why she kept saying they were is beyond me. We want it to be able to function as a separate unit and have its own memory. She went on to explain that Verizon only offers up to 2 DVR's that record up to 12 programs.  I asked what about multi family homes. She said each box needs to have 5 boxes each. So my 2 DVR's would need to have 5 mini's each before Verizon would even think about giving me another DVR. How ridiculous is that? Comcast lets you have 3. 

So now I have to send a mini back and still have no solution to my needing a 3rd DVR problem. 

Plus a side note--The new menu upgrade is horrible. 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiple DVR's
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suggest you try and place orders online, unless you're renewing.  Online lets you see exactly what you're getting.  You may be able to order another main box without adding more mini's, but I think their system does exactly what the rep told you.  At least online you can see for yourself.

Note they have two DVR plans.  The base plan has 50 hours of HD recording, while the higher plan has 200 hours.  It's the same box; they just let you use all of the disk space if you pay more.  If you're not already on the higher plan, that may solve your problem.  I think it's called "enhanced DVR" and costs $5/month more.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suggest you try and place orders online, unless you're renewing.  Online lets you see exactly what you're getting.  You may be able to order another main box without adding more mini's, but I think their system does exactly what the rep told you.  At least online you can see for yourself.

Note they have two DVR plans.  The base plan has 50 hours of HD recording, while the higher plan has 200 hours.  It's the same box; they just let you use all of the disk space if you pay more.  If you're not already on the higher plan, that may solve your problem.  I think it's called "enhanced DVR" and costs $5/month more.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Chuck3 wrote:

I was messaging with an agent a few nights ago and let them know that my family would like to have an additional DVR added to our plan because the 2 we have are constantly getting filled and we are out of room. After a brief back and forth the rep told me I only had 1 w/4  mini's. I had to explain again that we currently had 2 Multi room DVR's and 3 mini's.  Finally, he understood what we had and went on to explain that I could not get another one and Verizon did not offer that. We went round and round again and finally he came back and let me know that it would not be a problem to add another DVR to my plan at no additional charge since we were already on the Premium  multi room service. Hey great. Oh and BTW, your contract is expired and if you do not renew, your bill will go up 75 dollars. Do you want to renew? Well what will be my new bill. The total is 33 dollars than my current bill plus an additonal 25 for shipment of the box since the nearest store to me in VA is in MD.  Yeah, wait, hold up. so now, I have to pay 25 dollars to ship a box and 33 extra dollars a month.  Finally, I agreed to renew and am assured that the box will have just as much storage as the other 2 at no additional cost to us besides the new bill and we will have no issues. 

Next day we receive a box and what do you think is inside....

You guessed it a mini box... Boy was I HOT!!!

SO instead of chatting this time, I actually called. This time in speaking with the representative, I went on to explain to the representative that I received the wrong box and she told me that I had not. She tried to tell me that it is a DVR and has recording capabilities.. I guess they just do not listen to the customer because again I explained that the 2 DVRs do not have enough storage for us and we want another main unit NOT a mini. Mini's are not DVR's, they are just units that set up recording for the main units. So why she kept saying they were is beyond me. We want it to be able to function as a separate unit and have its own memory. She went on to explain that Verizon only offers up to 2 DVR's that record up to 12 programs.  I asked what about multi family homes. She said each box needs to have 5 boxes each. So my 2 DVR's would need to have 5 mini's each before Verizon would even think about giving me another DVR. How ridiculous is that? Comcast lets you have 3. 

So now I have to send a mini back and still have no solution to my needing a 3rd DVR problem. 

Plus a side note--The new menu upgrade is horrible. 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

Two DVRs is the limit. Premium DVR is with 2 DVRs. Verizon doesn't offer a third DVR.