Multiple DVRs - Can I watch programs on a different TV than the one where they were recorded?
gawkahn
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have an HDTV (and DVR) in one room, and an old SDTV (and DVR) in another room.  Theoretically I can watch programs recorded on the "downstairs" DVR on the "upstairs" TV, but in practice I only record HD programming (which I can't watch upstairs), so I've never really tried to do that.  I also haven't recorded SD programming upstairs and tried to watch it downstairs, because what would be the point?

I'm going to replace the old TV, and presumably add a second HD DVR.  Ideally that would double my DVR capabilities across the board:  I could record in both locations, and watch the recordings from either.  At the least I should be able to record 4 programs at once (I am doubling the tuners), but the value of that will be much diminished if I can only watch programs on the TV attached to the DVR where they were originally recorded.  

Will this work the way I want it to?  The descriptions of "multi-room dvrs" all sound as though the model is one master with the storage and watching programs on other TVs.  That's fine, but I'd like to be able to both record and watch in either location, doubling the recording potential of the total system.

Thanks for any info,

Grant

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Multiple DVRs - Can I watch programs on a different TV than the one where they were recorded?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can get MRDVR and watch what you record in either location from either box.
Or you could upgrade to Quantum for nearly if not the same price.
That would give you 6 tuners for the price of 4. (assuming you don't have a free DVR for life discount).

Software is not quite as solid as older boxes, but it works well IMHO (as always YMMV).

View solution in original post

Re: Multiple DVRs - Can I watch programs on a different TV than the one where they were recorded?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes you can get MRDVR and watch what you record in either location from either box.
Or you could upgrade to Quantum for nearly if not the same price.
That would give you 6 tuners for the price of 4. (assuming you don't have a free DVR for life discount).

Software is not quite as solid as older boxes, but it works well IMHO (as always YMMV).

gawkahn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the info.  I'll think about the Quantum option.

0 Likes