Multiple FIOS Channels Tiling/Pixellating
scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Channels associated with QAM 114 (597, 613, 624, 625, 735, 793) are unwatchable due to tiling, pixellating.  Issue has come up before and was only solved by posting in the Forums.  Tried "MYFios" app numerous times, rebooted ONT, STBs, checked connections, with no improvement.  All other channels are fine, and all other services (phone, internet) are working without issues.

0 Likes
Re: Multiple FIOS Channels Tiling/Pixellating
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@scitechguy wrote:

Channels associated with QAM 114 (597, 613, 624, 625, 735, 793) are unwatchable due to tiling, pixellating.  Issue has come up before and was only solved by posting in the Forums.  Tried "MYFios" app numerous times, rebooted ONT, STBs, checked connections, with no improvement.  All other channels are fine, and all other services (phone, internet) are working without issues.

Could be a bad Fios box or a bad splitter. Had a similar thing happen to me, the box was defective. The clue was all problems on the same Quam.

scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could be a bad Fios box or a bad splitter. Had a similar thing happen to me, the box was defective. The clue was all problems on the same Quam.

Thought of that too.  All boxes, including DVR, for a total of 4.  No similarities on splitters, they are different for different locations in the home.  The fact that it happened months ago, was fixed by Verizon (without doing anything to my ONT), then happened again is unusual.  Also, all other channels are crystal clear, internet speed close to 1GB/s, and phones all work suggest a problem at Verizon's end.

If someone at Verizon is reading this, please give me a credit for missing service.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I used to have problems with tiling/pixels.

A top to bottom inspection of the coax and related hardware located a 4-way splitter with an open port.

Not wanting to have to chase gremlins again for a while, I replaced all coaxial cable, splitters and connectors. The 4-way splitter was replaced with a 3-way.

TV signals have been clean ever since. 🙂

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@scitechguy wrote:

Thought of that too.  All boxes, including DVR, for a total of 4.  No similarities on splitters, they are different for different locations in the home.  The fact that it happened months ago, was fixed by Verizon (without doing anything to my ONT), then happened again is unusual.  Also, all other channels are crystal clear, internet speed close to 1GB/s, and phones all work suggest a problem at Verizon's end.

If someone at Verizon is reading this, please give me a credit for missing service.

When it was fixed, was it done from the office or did they come to the home?

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

@scitechguy wrote:

Hello scitechguy,

This community is meant mainly for peer-to-peer support. If you need to talk to a Verizon representative, you should contact customer service directly though one of the methods available on our Support page.

scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I'm back at it.  Regarding the completed service tag

channels 597 Eleven Sports, 624 Discovery Life, 625 AHC, 735 Sundance, 793 Daystar,  as well as multiple premiums channels (non-HD), are still almost unwatchable due to tiling.  Some will not tune in at all.  

So, the problem was not resolved.  As stated in previous posts, all other channels, internet, and phone are fine.  The connections in the home are fine, the ONT has been reset, as have all the STBs.  

As an aside, the FIOS app does not solve these issues, nor does the web-based troubleshooter.

I'm not sure where to turn at this point...

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@scitechguy wrote:

OK, I'm back at it.  Regarding the completed service tag

channels 597 Eleven Sports, 624 Discovery Life, 625 AHC, 735 Sundance, 793 Daystar,  as well as multiple premiums channels (non-HD), are still almost unwatchable due to tiling.  Some will not tune in at all.  

So, the problem was not resolved.  As stated in previous posts, all other channels, internet, and phone are fine.  The connections in the home are fine, the ONT has been reset, as have all the STBs.  

As an aside, the FIOS app does not solve these issues, nor does the web-based troubleshooter.

I'm not sure where to turn at this point...

You had a tech in the home and they couldn't fix the problem? When you get the issue if you look at the channels SNR in the system info on the Fios box is it reading good?

scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

The service ticket was marked as "Resolved" in an email to me.  Nobody was in my home, however, the ONT is mounted on the side of the house, so I don't know for certain if anyone actually came.  My SNR looks good, and all other channels are clear.  GB internet is also fine, as is the phone line.   If it is a problem here, it is rather selective, something I haven't seen in my years of working with RF and digital signals.   A good spectrum analyzer might help in troubleshooting, but I have nothing in that range.

I suspect the problem is not here, but at a local head-end, or even further back the line.  

0 Likes
scitechguy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, but the best I could do is to have a chat with someone who generated the service tag.   Today (Tuesday), everything at support was backed up.  

0 Likes