Multiple TVs / boxes in same room - How to?
ppearson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I just got FIOS.  I have 2 tv's next to each other in my living room.  I have a separate box for them.  I want to be able to control them separately.  How can I do this?  With DirecTV, I was able to do this by switching one of the remotes to a mode where it only interacted with one specific box.  I would like to do the same thing with Fios, how can I go about doing it.  currently, both remotes control both tv's, so i cant really use it.

0 Likes
Re: Multiple TVs / boxes in same room - How to?
ppearson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Surely I can't be the only **bleep** who wants two tv's next to each other?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

FiOS does not have the same functionality as DirecTV in this regard.  All remotes work for all STBs.  You could try separating the IR receivers of the two STBs by installing IR extenders which could allow you to point to separate places to control the respective STB.  When the IR extender is installed, the on-box IR receiver is disabled.  See https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts. 

0 Likes
ppearson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do you know if there is a third party product (like a universal remote) that I can buy to solve this?

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't think a different remote will do it. I believe that Directv boxes can be controlled with either infrared (like a verizon remote) or RF remotes so you could set each box to respond to either of the two remotes. I guess the manufacturer of the cable box (Motorola) would have to build in that ability.

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

****update!!** If you have a smartphone or tablet go (on one of the  two set-top boxes) to "widgets > ok to expand > all > Fios mobile remote. The instructions tell you how to pair your wireless device with a specific set-top box and control the box via the wireless router.  Sorry, not sure why I didnt think of that before!

ppearson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

That sounds promising, but the only problem is, if I did that (say I made my iPad the primary remote for one STB), wouldnt it still change the channel when i used the remote for the other STB? 

But if that works, wouldn't I be able to do something similar with a universal remote?

0 Likes
ppearson99
Enthusiast - Level 1

Or are you saying that I could then block the sensor on one STB because the mobile controls uses the internet rather than the sensor (apologize for my crude terminology)

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ppearson99 wrote:

That sounds promising, but the only problem is, if I did that (say I made my iPad the primary remote for one STB), wouldnt it still change the channel when i used the remote for the other STB? 

But if that works, wouldn't I be able to do something similar with a universal remote?

You could switch the iPad (or Anrdoid device) app back and forth between the two, thus controlling either at different times. The app communicates with the STB via WiFi and connects to a specific STB when you use it, so it only controls one STB at a time.  You wouldn't have to use the IR remote.

bkoopers
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have two set-top boxes next to each other and I control them independently using a pair of NextGen Remote Extender Plus units (each using a different frequency):

http://www.nextgen.us/NextGen_Remote_Extender_Plus_p/remoteextenderplus.htm

0 Likes